Search the forum,

Discuss Firebird oil boiler hot water in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

My firebird oil boiler hw supply is luke warm, but does heat up slightly when run if the ch is on at the same time.
Is this a faulty diverter valve?
If so could I replace this myself as I've heard they're expensive to fix.
Tia

Attachments

• 20230428_172401.jpg
    20230428_172401.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 15
The heat store should still get very hot even if blender valve is faulty. Can you switch off the boiler, run off say 20 or 30 liters of HW, shut the HW tap then fire up the boiler and see how long it runs for.

The 35kw boiler must have sent 5.53 kwh somewhere, assuming.iit's to the store then that's sufficient to raise 125L from 25C to 65C . Are you sure the store isn't very hot? The only other route for that 5.53kwh is to the CH?

Are the boiler CH flow and return pipes hot for this 10 minutes, I can't imagine the heat going anywhere else, any idea, even roughl of the heat store volume?.

Can't find a schematic of a Firebird Combi but its probably something like this Grant where the stored water is primary water, might be worth checking the non return valves and that the heating pump isn't running when HW requested. The Grant primary store is 32.5 Litres, total contents 53.5 litres.

1683899566667.png

Last edited:
some of these environmex have two pumps, others don't so maybe diverter valve as you suggested?.
You have two as per your photo!!

Attachments

• Firebird enviromax manual.pdf
    9.8 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I'm attaching a firebird technical update I got some years ago when we were repairing one ,
Seem to indicate heat store should be 78 C also describes how to test thermistors

Attachments

• Technical Bulletin 2010-01 Combi PCB Diagnostics.pdf
    211.4 KB · Views: 11
They claim 120L available at 20LPM at a 40C dT from the 40L primary store (78C) presumably as the boiler will be firing at 35kw output as well.
Any idea of the continuous flowrate at say 40C once the store has fallen to say 50C?, there will obviously be a dT between the PHE and the DHW temperature, is say 16.0/16.5LPM at 40C achievable at a mains/DHW dT of 30C.

Last edited:

Reply to Firebird oil boiler hot water in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock