Search the forum,

Discuss Firebird Heatpac S20 boiler - how to change water pressure? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I really hope someone can give me some advice! I recently moved into a rented property and landlord won’t pay to get my boiler checked as they say it’s something I can do myself. I’ve read the manual but it doesn’t answer my questions (https://www.firebird.ie/images/stories/standard efficiency range manual.pdf)

So here goes...

It’s an ancient Firebird heatpac S70 oil fuelled boiler.

1. radiators need bleeding - how do I correct the water pressure? Manual says pressure needs to be at 3bar. But there doesn’t seem to be a pressure gauge and I can’t see the usual top up loop to add more water to the radiators.

2. The boiler needs to be reset at least twice a day as it keeps cutting out, when all the dials and thermostat say it should still be on. It needs resetting for a third time today but I’m sure it’s not good for it, so I’ve currently left it off for now and informed landlord again. Should I get a plumber to look at it? or do I just keep resetting it?

I’ve called the Firebird help line twice but they’re not getting back to me probably because it’s a stupid question - normally I’d call a plumber but the landlord told me to call the helpline and deal with it myself. Getting quite cold!! 🥶

Advice and second opinions hugely appreciated!

Kate

A burner lockout is not rated to system pressure. Low system pressure will cut power to the burner and it won't even try to ignite to eventually go to lockout.
The filling loop could be at the boiler, or in the cylinder cupboard.
If you gave a burner lockout then you need an engineer and yes you are correct, don't keep pressing burner reset.

When you say you are resetting it are you resetting the burner or the high limit stat?
I’m pressing a big red button that has a red light on it. Boiler man told me to press it if it needs resetting, but not to press it three times in a row. Hence not pressing it for a third time today.

A burner lockout is not rated to system pressure. Low system pressure will cut power to the burner and it won't even try to ignite to eventually go to lockout.
The filling loop could be at the boiler, or in the cylinder cupboard.
If you gave a burner lockout then you need an engineer and yes you are correct, don't keep pressing burner reset.
Thank you so much for explaining - I know I need a engineer, guess I just wanted reassurance that’s the right thing to do as landlord told me to sort it myself! I will get on the phone now 😀 I think I’ve fold what looks like a filling loop but it doesn’t have any valves anywhere near it. But doesn’t matter now anyway as will ask the engineer. Thank you again.

If you have header tanks in the loft its an open vented system, if not there will be a filling loop somewhere.
As you say the attending engineer can clarify for you.
At the moment you have a burner fault as well and your landlord has a duty of care and must get it sorted for you, especially in this cold weather.
I would bring on immersion heater so you at least have hot water.
Anyone touching a fuel burning appliance should be competent, so hopefully the engineer can help, if not we're here to help to a certain degree. Obviously we won't advise you to undertake anything yourself.

Needs a visit, get your landlord on it.

The instruction not to reset it three times is more of a 3 times on the trot within a few minutes.

So ideally not good to keep resetting, if it's the difference between a bit of warmth and freezing then I would reset it.

What's in the tenancy agreement as far as servicing and repairs go. A lot are tenant to get annual service and landlord to repair.

Also do you have a carbon monoxide detector? Is the boiler internal?

If you have header tanks in the loft its an open vented system, if not there will be a filling loop somewhere.
As you say the attending engineer can clarify for you.
At the moment you have a burner fault as well and your landlord has a duty of care and must get it sorted for you, especially in this cold weather.
I would bring on immersion heater so you at least have hot water.
Anyone touching a fuel burning appliance should be competent, so hopefully the engineer can help, if not we're here to help to a certain degree. Obviously we won't advise you to undertake anything yourself.
Thanks again, yes, i think I must have an open system but will get confirmation. I don’t think my landlord realises their responsibilities - I was going to highlight that it’s their duty to sort out the boiler but no matter how I say it it sounds quite arsey!

The instruction not to reset more than 3 times is to prevent any undue further damage as well as maintaining the life cycle of the good components. All parts on the burner have a theoretical max run time and frequently pressing the reset button is not helping preserve the parts. Thats how I've always seen it to be honest.
3 lockouts today, I have a couple suspicions

Thanks again, yes, i think I must have an open system but will get confirmation. I don’t think my landlord realises their responsibilities - I was going to highlight that it’s their duty to sort out the boiler but no matter how I say it it sounds quite arsey!

What does it say in your contractual agreement?
Does it state you're responsible or the landlord?
Quite frankly in this cold weather its not unreasonable for you to want heating. Politely but firmly insist he has it sorted.

Needs a visit, get your landlord on it.

The instruction not to reset it three times is more of a 3 times on the trot within a few minutes.

So ideally not good to keep resetting, if it's the difference between a bit of warmth and freezing then I would reset it.

What's in the tenancy agreement as far as servicing and repairs go. A lot are tenant to get annual service and landlord to repair.

Also do you have a carbon monoxide detector? Is the boiler internal?
Hi Simon, thanks!!!!! It’s very very cold with no heating so will reset for now whilst I sort an engineer. It has been serviced already this summer, paid by landlord. I assumed landlord was to pay for the engineer but perhaps I’m wrong, so I might just pay now and argue my case later if I need too. Still have a hole in the roof and raining in the kitchen so not the best of landlords!!! Boiler is outside, but also have a carbon monoxide detector for our gas stove.thanks for the advice, which means we will at least be warm tonight! Till it needs resetting again at least.

What does it say in your contractual agreement?
Does it state you're responsible or the landlord?
Quite frankly in this cold weather its not unreasonable for you to want heating. Politely but firmly insist he has it sorted.
I had better check my agreement as I perhaps wrongly assumed they were to pay.😳

I had better check my agreement as I perhaps wrongly assumed they were to pay.😳

Yes check the agreement and if the landlord is responsible then approach them.
Failing that as you said to Simon above just pay for an engineer to visit and argue it with the landlord later.
I appreciate you need heat but I personally would not advise frequently pressing the reset button for reasons I mentioned above, certainly if you're the one paying the maintenance bill.

I agree Simon and by doing so you help preserve as much as possible.
By constantly resetting the burner in the hope to keep heat on or to even start the burner you're putting every component into motion. Motor runs, bearings get weaker, caps get weaker, pump coupling gets weaker, pumps get weaker. Coils energise and start to get weaker etc etc etc. All this start stop adds to premature wear and tear of parts and if it was a fuel problem you'll quite happily burn a pump out in no time if kept running dry.
Three lockouts today is a clear problem and I wouldn't want to keep trying in the hope it springs to life at the expense of further possible damage.

I agree Simon and by doing so you help preserve as much as possible.
By constantly resetting the burner in the hope to keep heat on or to even start the burner you're putting every component into motion. Motor runs, bearings get weaker, caps get weaker, pump coupling gets weaker, pumps get weaker. Coils energise and start to get weaker etc etc etc. All this start stop adds to premature wear and tear of parts and if it was a fuel problem you'll quite happily burn a pump out in no time if kept running dry.
Three lockouts today is a clear problem and I wouldn't want to keep trying in the hope it springs to life at the expense of further possible damage.
That’s interesting - the boiler man had to replace the pump a few months ago and asked if it had been run dry - I’ve recently moved in and still have half a tank so wasn’t sure if it had in the past. So maybe a blocked fuel line then. I’ll let you know what he says!

here’s a pic of the model number - it’s seriously old, I think before 2007 as it doesn’t appear to meet the 2007 minimum efficiency requirements.
39D335FE-54F7-4057-A7DF-6E0F6B307964.jpeg

Sedbuk band C, not as efficient as todays standards. A partial blockage is one of my suspicions yes but there is a number of possibilities.
Yes, please let us know the outcome.

Hi Simons,

So we have heating! The fuel lines were clear, but needed a few worn out parts replacing - the coil, and the control box and another thingy too. The landlord was totally fine with it - it seems it was the letting agent being weird about us paying for it. The landlord simply said get it sorted ASAP and address the invoice to her - so all good on that front too 😀👍

and the radiator query - yes we can bleed the radiators without needing to alter the pressure. So all good there too.

thanks again for all the advice!

kate

Reply to Firebird Heatpac S20 boiler - how to change water pressure? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock