Search the forum,

Discuss Firebird enviromax starting problems in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I have a combi boiler that fails to fire up and sustain the burn. I read a similar post on this site but it doesn't precisely match my needs hence this post.
Let me explain, and apologies for the less technical description since I use a plumber for my problems but he seems stuck on this one. Sorry it's so long too.

My problem began a week ago when the boiler tried to start up but failed to sustain it for more than one or 2 sec. I called the plumber - an experienced plumber. He basically checked and replaced everything but none made any difference except one act. He checked oil flow/pump/ sensors etc. The one way he managed to get it to fire was to connect a second photoelectric cell (I believe that is what it's called - it monitors the flame I was told?) to the electrics of the burner, essentially leaving the original one in the relevant burner housing but not connected to the electrics. He turned the boiler on and at the same time shone a torch on this second photo cell. And it fired up.
Yet when he used it to replace the existing cell it failed to sustain the burn.
Where he did also have success in getting it to burn was to alter the allen-key-controlled air mix. It is a numbered wheel that is moved round via the allen key - sorry I don't know the name but it is to the right on the burner. It had been set to around 5 on the dial. When he wheeled it back to around 3.5 it fired up and that is how he left it. He was concerned that the burn might be smokier - he did various test and measured the gases but still left us, perplexed at the problem. He did phone someone at Enviromax but all they seemed to say was that they had not come across it before.
A week later and the problem returned. This time I reduced the air balance down to 2.5 to get it working and left a message with the plumber. And then today I found I had to reduce it further to 2.0. I don't know whether my plumber will come back to me and so I thought I'd seek guidance here that I could pass on to him. Thank you.

Hi, I have a combi boiler that fails to fire up and sustain the burn. I read a similar post on this site but it doesn't precisely match my needs hence this post.
Let me explain, and apologies for the less technical description since I use a plumber for my problems but he seems stuck on this one. Sorry it's so long too.

My problem began a week ago when the boiler tried to start up but failed to sustain it for more than one or 2 sec. I called the plumber - an experienced plumber. He basically checked and replaced everything but none made any difference except one act. He checked oil flow/pump/ sensors etc. The one way he managed to get it to fire was to connect a second photoelectric cell (I believe that is what it's called - it monitors the flame I was told?) to the electrics of the burner, essentially leaving the original one in the relevant burner housing but not connected to the electrics. He turned the boiler on and at the same time shone a torch on this second photo cell. And it fired up.
Yet when he used it to replace the existing cell it failed to sustain the burn.
Where he did also have success in getting it to burn was to alter the allen-key-controlled air mix. It is a numbered wheel that is moved round via the allen key - sorry I don't know the name but it is to the right on the burner. It had been set to around 5 on the dial. When he wheeled it back to around 3.5 it fired up and that is how he left it. He was concerned that the burn might be smokier - he did various test and measured the gases but still left us, perplexed at the problem. He did phone someone at Enviromax but all they seemed to say was that they had not come across it before.
A week later and the problem returned. This time I reduced the air balance down to 2.5 to get it working and left a message with the plumber. And then today I found I had to reduce it further to 2.0. I don't know whether my plumber will come back to me and so I thought I'd seek guidance here that I could pass on to him. Thank you.
Latest update: The boiler works on its new setting for maybe one or 2 sessions and then fails. The dial is now down to less than one! My plumber doesn't seem to know what to do. Anyone here with any ideas?

Reply to Firebird enviromax starting problems in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock