Search the forum,

Discuss Firebird Condensing Oil Boiler Flow / Return? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am new here and a capable plumbing DIYr. I have just purchased a Fire Bird Silver Boiler House model to replace my old and now leaking Worchester Bosch oil Boiler.

The oil condensing boiler instructions have no reference regarding the flow and return connections!! Nor are they indicated on the Boiler itself. I find this quite bizarre as I understand a conventional boiler would have had the heat flow coming out the top but this may be reversed on a condensing boiler(?) Due to the want for the return water to take advantage of the latent flue gasses heat.

The PDF is attached along with a photo of the same boiler.

Can any one advise what Is best practice for the flow return connections? My old conventional boiler had the returns coming in top and bottom on the right side and heat output going out the top left.

Attachments

• New_Silver_Manual.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20211120-201238_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20211120-201238_WhatsApp.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 16
That unit looks second hand

Hi JC,

I know very little abot oil boilers so I don't know the answer any more than you do, so can't help in that respect.

Mr Shouty will say it more vocally if you provoke him enough, but I'll try saying it more quietly first. Unfortunately, we are left with a moral dilemma in that while I suspect you could probably quite legally DIY the install and notify building control in the correct and legal manner (think that's an option with oil?), you still won't have the calibrated test equipment to be able to commission the unit to work correctly and safely. And realistically, many people who come on forums asking for advice will take the less bureaucratic method if it's in their own house and they aren't intending to sell, i.e. tell no one official about anything. So no one wants to encourage you to carry out an installation that could end up being dangerous for you or others, even if you tell us you're only going to connect up the water side and leave all the rest to an experienced installer. I'm afraid you aren't going to get the answer you're after on this forum. Sorry, pal.

Your installer will know which is which.
I will be installing the boiler myself. I am experienced at plumbing in my own home. Quality plumbing with copper etc. I have all pipe benders etc and also sorted the Heating controls in the house.

I am just seeking advice which is the most effective path of return and flow on condensing boilers. Open vent system, space heat only.

Hi JC,

I know very little abot oil boilers so I don't know the answer any more than you do, so can't help in that respect.

Mr Shouty will say it more vocally if you provoke him enough, but I'll try saying it more quietly first. Unfortunately, we are left with a moral dilemma in that while I suspect you could probably quite legally DIY the install and notify building control in the correct and legal manner (think that's an option with oil?), you still won't have the calibrated test equipment to be able to commission the unit to work correctly and safely. So no one wants to encourage you to carry out an installation that could end up being dangerous for you or others, even if you tell us you're only going to connect up the water side and leave all the rest to an experienced installer. I'm afraid you aren't going to get the answer you're after on this forum. Sorry, pal.

Thank you for that and no worries. I do have a boiler engineer who will commission it for me. I will simply carry out the removal of the old, plumbing in and new balanced flue to the unit and he gets it running and tests it. I am an Architect by trade and know the regulations so none will be broken in terms of remote acting fire valve siting and flue terminal position etc.

I will be installing the boiler myself. I am experienced at plumbing in my own home. Quality plumbing with copper etc. I have all pipe benders etc and also sorted the Heating controls in the house.

I am just seeking advice which is the most effective path of return and flow on condensing boilers. Open vent system, space heat only.

Boiler installation isnt diy.

Boiler installation isnt diy.
Hence installation will be signed off, commissioned and put through building control. No laws will be broken.

I trust myself more to do the work correctly up to the point of commissioning as for example in my old boiler years ago I discovered the plumber had installed the remote acting fire valve fully inside the case with the sensor on the floor and also wrapped earth wires together outside the connector box.

As an Architect I inspect houses regularly. And see plumbers work with incorrect fire valve installations, incorrectly positioned flue terminals and crappy plastic fantastic pipework all the time.

I know the regs and will make it all 100% correct.

Thread closed due to op not qualified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Firebird Condensing Oil Boiler Flow / Return? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock