Search the forum,

Discuss Firebird boilers any good in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Max

Have oil burning Danesmoor Utility 32/50 on last legs and boiler engineer recommends Firebird (system boiler) as a replacement. Guess would be something like Enviromax 35kW system? Current boiler jetted at 41kW but recently fully zoned my heating system (from previous 1 x hall stat).

He says Firebird went through a rough patch but are now much improved to be more reliable than Grant, super efficient and now fits them in preference.

Also says Grant have dropped off recently and many issues with leaking insides before 10 years old. My Danesmoor must be about 25 years old, so thought of getting just 10 years is very disappointing!

Seen many not very complimentary or mixed comments and issues with Firebird online. Any thoughts or recommendations from the pros? Have they improved recently?

Thanks.

This is of course a leading question.
In my opinion, I would advise go Grant.
As long as you ensure you clean your existing system thoroughly, flush new system and add a quality inhibitor, all will be well.

I wouldn't touch grant or Worcester. Every engineer will have a different view. I would be surprised of any new boiler lasting 15 plus years.
Have a look at Hounsfield oil boilers. Very impressed with them.

I haven’t seen any of the latest Grant boilers failing. Some HE Grant boilers have now reached over 10 years old and any I installed or service appear to be like new. But you never know the life of a boiler shell

I wouldn't touch grant or Worcester. Every engineer will have a different view. I would be surprised of any new boiler lasting 15 plus years.
Simon, What do you prefer about the Hounsfield over Grant? I have been fitting Grants for a number of years with a filter & not had any issues to speak of, service every year ect ect
I have had the Firebird rep calling for a number of months & it got me thinking of other options.

Thanks for any advice & sorry if im stealing the thread....

Simon, What do you prefer about the Hounsfield over Grant? I have been fitting Grants for a number of years with a filter & not had any issues to speak of, service every year ect ect
I have had the Firebird rep calling for a number of months & it got me thinking of other options.

Thanks for any advice & sorry if im stealing the thread..

All the grants i see are leaking like no tomorrow.
But i will say it has a lot to do with the installation.

The Hounsfield are a nice solid boiler. Easy to install and service. Worth a look imho

SimonG. Bottom of firebox corroding through. Smells quite a bit on start up but gases still adjustable within permissible limits (just). Not inside the house obviously or would have to go now. Burner also getting temperamental despite all replaceable parts new within last 4 years or so. Manual pub date 03/98 so seems must be somewhere around 20 years old. Guessing can't go on forever..... Still interested to hear Firebird experiences, especially the more recent ones, but will take a look at Hounsfield too..... never heard of 'em though.......

Had a look at Hounsfield website and video. It does look very interesting...... seems emphasis on solid old fashioned British engineering. Bit put off by the Bentone burner after my experience with my Sterling ST50 but seems he (Andrew Hounsfield) swears by the BF1 he fits in it. Only issue is seems to only go to 30kW but I might be OK due to my newly zoned system? Guess it needs a proper calc. of full load. Wonder what leakage record is like? Probably too few sold to get any meaningful data? Hounsfield 5 yr warranty, Firebird 10 yr...... does not necessarily mean anything I don't suppose....

All the grants i see are leaking like no tomorrow.
But i will say it has a lot to do with the installation.

The Hounsfield are a nice solid boiler. Easy to install and service. Worth a look imho
Nice one mate, Will take a look.
I so far (touches wood) haven't had an issue with any of my own installs from over the years on Grants. I always clean the system (if its running) 2 weeks prior then install a filter with each install.
I have seen a few with issues, mainly combis with leaks but all have undersized expansion vessels & Grants always blame that so no warranty/claims being accepted.

Most Oil Combi manufacturers, supply an integral
Pressure Vessel with a capacity of approx. 12L.
This is barely adequate for even the smallest system.
It is sized to protect the boiler and thus requires an additional remote vessel.
Thus this additional vessel is often ignored, resulting in premature vessel/water jacket failure.
Hounsfield boilers do appear impressive, unfortunately they are a little on the expensive side, which no doubt it down to volume.
Is Firebirds’ ten year warranty, subject to conditions? Approved installer scheme etc.

Yes, understand Firebird warranty is conditional on annual service from the approved installer/engineer but I guess that is parr for the course these days and fair enough I guess. Apparently the 5 year service includes mandatory replacement of the oil pump and the controller at overall cost of around £400. Not sure about that one, but imagine average oil pump life not much more anyway? Just to clarify I'm looking at system boiler, not combi.

Have spoken to Andrew Hounsfield at length. Very impressed with him, company attitude and what appears to be a very solidly engineered boiler. Also his very no-nonsense approach to the warranty offered shows confidence in his product. Pretty sure will go this route. Many thanks SimonG for the pointer. Never heard of them until you mentioned.

Cheers.

Reply to Firebird boilers any good in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a "Firebird Envirogreen Condensing Combi Oil Boiler 26kW" a part has went and I can't find it anywhere, I was at every plumbers merchant near me but they all need to ring Firebird who are closed till next week. I wonder if anyone can help me find this part please? It's a pressure sensor...
Replies
Views
Hi, can anyone tell me which pipes are flow and return please. I removed old leaking 2008 C26 firebird oil boiler in June . We have now completed damp proofing works & I need to extend these 4 pipes to go through the wall and into a new boiler room. This area will then be stud wall and...
Replies
Views
We've had a Grant Thornton oil boiler for about 5 years and suddenly it trips the electricity when it rains? The unit is in a wood shed and the exhaust goes out the wall horizontally. I can't see any water ingress in the machine, so at a real loss......and very cold..!!!!
Replies
Views
Any advice welcome as plumber stumped Had 36-46 grant vortex utility boiler 7 years no problem recently oil tank move and tigerloop install (tank about 1m lower). 10 days later and boiler either doesn't fire or fires stops, fires runs splutters stops. Most it runs now is 10 mins, but that's...
Replies
Views
Hi Can you help me determine if my new Navien lcb700 lsx is working as expected? I got the Navien oil boiler installed to replaced an old firebird boiler. The new boiler is a condensing oil boiler and I’m not sure if this is working as expected. I’ve a 300 L water cylinder and after one hour...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock