Search the forum,

Discuss Finishing plumbing NVQ in the Plumbing Courses area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
I done level 2 and level plumbing courses at college a couples years ago but never done an apprenticeship after and went into a different line of work and now want to do my plumbing but I have been told without doing the apprenticeship I haven't got the full NVQ, how do I go about doing the portfolio and who would I send it to so I can become fully qualified. Many thanks in advance.

Hi
I done level 2 and level plumbing courses at college a couples years ago but never done an apprenticeship after and went into a different line of work and now want to do my plumbing but I have been told without doing the apprenticeship I haven't got the full NVQ, how do I go about doing the portfolio and who would I send it to so I can become fully qualified. Many thanks in advance.
You need to get somebody to employ you,(give you an apprenticeship).I won’t beat about the bush or lie.It is very hard these days to get somebody to take you on.A lot of plumbers won’t give new guys a chance and then moan that unqualified people just go out by themselves without the correct knowledge/qualifications etc. It is very hard to get into this industry at the moment.Do not enter this industry with false expectations (regardless of what you hear,it is hard work,you won’t be turning over hundreds of thousands of pounds a year. But that said if you are 100 % committed,you are prepared for a lot of knock backs then go for it. This answer wasn’t designed to scare you off. Don’t give up and go for it.

Last edited:
You need to get somebody to employ you,(give you an apprenticeship).I won’t beat about the bush or lie.It is very hard these days to get somebody to take you on.A lot of plumbers won’t give new guys a chance and then moan that unqualified people just go out by themselves without the correct knowledge/qualifications etc. It is very hard to get into this industry at the moment.Do not enter this industry with false expectations (regardless of what you hear,it is hard work,you won’t be turning over hundreds of thousands of pounds a year. But that said if you are 100 % committed,you are prepared for a lot of knock backs then go for it. This answer wasn’t designed to scare you off. Don’t give up and go for it.
Okay mate thanks for the help, I'm currently working with a plumbing on the building firm I work with but just don't know who I would need to send my portfolio to

Okay mate thanks for the help, I'm currently working with a plumbing on the building firm I work with but just don't know who I would need to send my portfolio to
Your employer will sort all that,your portfolio is like what you did at college for your diploma,you will do day release to college and complete a portfolio.Your assessor will come to your place of work to complete the portfolio for you.
[automerge]1605691388[/automerge]
Go to your college and tell them your want to do the apprenticeship,they will tell you to find an employer, Give the college the details of your employer and the college will take it from there.(Speak to your employer first to let them know your plans).

Last edited:
Ryan the only way to gain a qualification is to formally enrol with either an FE College or Training Centre.
Sorry but I really doubt you will be able to find anywhere to provide an NVQ only. I will have to check but
thought that course had expired or been withdrawn.
There is no longer a Plumbing NVQ Level II. The City & Guilds 9189 has replaced the old 6189 schemes.
Meaning it's a four year programme, concluding with Level III and all the trimmings (ACS, UVHW, ETC).
You should be able to APL onto year two, depending on the training provider.

Best Wishes

I did my NVQ separately after doing my technical certificates, this was about 6 years ago so I appreciate it may have changed.

I just contacted a local housing trust and arranged to do one day a week as a voluntary work experience type set up, and then I paid the local college myself to do the NVQ. They were quite happy to take it as they wanted the college numbers and the housing trust got to say they'd trained someone, I know it might not be financially viable to this though as it means paying the college fees and then working for free as well. Just thought I'd add my own experience! But as I say it might have changed now.

Ryan the only way to gain a qualification is to formally enrol with either an FE College or Training Centre.
Sorry but I really doubt you will be able to find anywhere to provide an NVQ only. I will have to check but
thought that course had expired or been withdrawn.
There is no longer a Plumbing NVQ Level II. The City & Guilds 9189 has replaced the old 6189 schemes.
Meaning it's a four year programme, concluding with Level III and all the trimmings (ACS, UVHW, ETC).
You should be able to APL onto year two, depending on the training provider.

Best Wishes
There 6189 level 2 is still available.
The apprenticeship has changed but the 6189 both L2 and 3 are still available

You can still access the 6189-57 and complete your additional 3 units to give you a nvq level 2 if you already have a level 2 Diploma in plumbing studies. You would need to pay for this as there is no longer funding for it.
You can also use a level 2 or 3 Diploma in Plumbing Studies to map into the 9189. There is funding for this although a company or you would need to pay 5% of the costs if you are over 19 (the full funding available for the level 3 apprenticeship is £21000, although there should be a reduction as you already have prior learning to deduct. But even the full £21000 would mean a company or you would have to pay £1050).

Reply to Finishing plumbing NVQ in the Plumbing Courses area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock