Search the forum,

Discuss financial benefits of solar hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 44451

can someone convince me of the benefits of solar panels. im a heating installer and as of yet struggling to be sold on the idea. if i have my facts right the maximum saving is approx 65% of the hot water use of a property.
most property's where i live are semis or 3 maybe 4 bedroom detached. everyone has washing machines (cold fiil only) dishwashers again cold fill only. the vast majority have showers these days so looking at the facts not much hot water being used.
i reckon that the hot water cost for a year would only amount to a few hundred pounds so saving 65% of this would take many years to pull back the outlay of installation of say 6k .
i can see the benefits to hotels and retirement homes but thats it.
my argument of course is on a financial level only and obviously theirs the cutting down on greenhouse gasses etc but as an investment to me the numbers dont add up.

I was once confused like you my son, but I saw the light:yes:

I fitted it to my own home, finished it at the beginning of November, since it was installed it has been running for 243 hrs.

2 x Worcester FKT panels, 300ltr Worcester cylinder.

Even today outside temp 8 degrees, the liquid temp is up to 42 degrees, bottom of tank is @ 18degrees (comes in @ 10/11 degrees) My boiler turned off @ 9am this morning 2 showers since.

I came in from work yesterday and the temp @ bottom of tank was 34 degrees, during the week the boiler goes off @ 8am.

I am sure come March when the outside temp warms up I will be able to turn off the gas boiler, heres hoping!!

I have wife and 4 kids using a load of water through 3 showers, each with 8 inch shower heads.

My issues trying to sell the product, are most families I know who would benefit from Solar thermal havent got the extra 4/5 k to invest for the future fuel bills.

It seems the older generation have the funds available, but not the need for large amounts of hot water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add my direct debit for gas is £95 per month, heating didnt go on till November and will be off by March at the latest, so the largest part of my consumption is hot water, the previous cylinder was a 210 ltr Megaflo.

Agree with Kev
But the only problem I see is there is a lot of cheap crap solar panels and tubes on market you really have to get good ones
My preference is kingspan thermomax very efficient and not to expensive
And Worcester for flat panels

six showers a day, and you can prob double the demand if you have girls, 8 inch shower heads sounds like you have a good system for your gang. in my area of work a couple of kids is more often the case and a lot of people have electric showers and maybe a mixer running off a combi so my viewpoint still stands . the demand for loads of hot water generally speaking is not that great.
iv talked to guys at worcester bosch and all i hear is they cant supply the solar the solar panels quick enough.
but when i talk to installers no one has had any enquireys or customers asking for info.
i dont want to sound like a stick in the mud i think its good to embrace new technology but i think i just need convincing my son.:yes:

Supaplum
You won't be convinced untill
You see a set up or talk to someone with a good system
I fitted a set of 50 tubes to a milking parlour it has cut there electricity bill by half upto now
It's not that they will give you piping hot water all the time (in summer they can)it's more that they will heat up the water and all it will need is a boost for heating source to get up to desired temp therefore less heating bills
The biggest problem is overpriced installation crap products and most people always want a fast return

I generally use Barilla, it's outperformed a few boiler manufacturers, don't bother with boiler makes as its all re branded and over priced, call Barilla or try h2 solar also. Both have sites with calls on to compare. You can get solar installed from me for around £3-4 k inc unvented, it's not that expensive now. Plus it's all 5% vat

Last edited by a moderator:
Figures I have seen reckon a average family uses about 150 to 200 pds a year on heating the water at today prices so its going to take you about 15 yrs to get your money back. The more you use the more you save. It is very impressive to see the water heated in winter from the panels but you soon forget what it cost you. Also you have to stay in a place long enough to recoup some of the money. The ones I have installed have been brilliant but it hasn't convinced me and I haven't got them in my house. You have to be looking at an install price of about3000 to make it worth considering

If you add in the current £300 grant and then the future fit payments, it becomes a very good choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to financial benefits of solar hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock