Search the forum,

Discuss filter old loft tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leonardtax

Hello, I have an old (>30 years) 64 gallon loft tank that is now getting rusty and is quite dirty. I would like to put a filter on the tank outlet, which I am willing to change and check on monthly intervals. I can't find any references to this type of filter. Is it against the regs? Changing the tank is too expensive right now. Thanks

I wouldn't do anything to it at all and replace it asap - if it is that bad the metal is probably only wafer thin and only the rust that is keeping the water from flooding the house. Even the slightest disturbance may cause a flood.

Changing the tank would be a lot less expensive than replastering, redecorating, buying new furniture and having new carpets fitted if you get my drift. (I have seen this happen more than once when steel tanks eventually fail).

Last edited:
Tanks these days are plastic (much less expensive than metal ones).

As long as they are supported fully over the entire base. Support should extend beyond the tank edges by 15mm. Had to replace one last week where there had been a metal one originally sat on 2 scaffold poles. The homeowner had put a plastic one in its place and it had split.

I wouldn't do anything to it at all and replace it asap - if it is that bad the metal is probably only wafer thin and only the rust that is keeping the water from flooding the house. Even the slightest disturbance may cause a flood.

Changing the tank would be a lot less expensive than replastering, redecorating, buying new furniture and having new carpets fitted if you get my drift. (I have seen this happen more than once when steel tanks eventually fail).

Totally agree you will regret it if you don't change it

I doubt you would be able to fit a filter to the outlet without disturbing the connection too.

As long as they are supported fully over the entire base. Support should extend beyond the tank edges by 15mm. Had to replace one last week where there had been a metal one originally sat on 2 scaffold poles. The homeowner had put a plastic one in its place and it had split.

is this a typo? should be 150mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to filter old loft tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Been in property about 10 years and the valve on the (round/bunded) Balmoral tank has always been in pretty rusty state. Tank is 5,000 litres but only got about 300L left at the moment. Please see picture. Looking for opinions on whether to get valve/filter assembly replaced due to rust or if I...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original heating installed when the house was built, and this revision was largely to replace a life-expired boiler: non-condensing fan flue boiler open...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone Moved into a 5 year old ‘new build’ property recently and the toilet was leaking from where the tank meets the bowl. Nothing heavy but enough to need repairing. Anyway Found out that the toilet tank was leaning very far back and fixed to the wall. The only way to stop the leak...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions about this below. I had intended to reuse the cold water tank and the cylinder sitting underneath it but my plumber suggested I replace the cylinder as...
Replies
Views
Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages and couldnt get to the bottom of it and I thought worth asking the elders on here for their view - Hot water temp is 40 Degrees - Ideal Mexico 2...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock