Search the forum,

Discuss Filling Loops - are they ever removed? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
How often do you actually come across filling loops that have actually been removed as is the legal requirement? Every one I come across has always been left fitted!

And what is the logic of the requirement? As a DCV is suited to Fluid Category 3, so I would have thought would be sufficient. Unless we consider the loop to be a deadleg?

If removing the filling loop. what is good practice? Presumably a 1/2" cap over the valve threads and tie the loop to some pipework nearby?

I see a few where you have to physically remove the loop to get the boiler back together or cupboard back together.

Seen plenty of new installs on new builds with them left connected, a lot of people don’t see it as an issue. I usually explain it’s not just heating water they could be drinking it’s over pressurisation, I've seen plenty left open as well. Yes a DCV is sufficient, but any mi’s I’ve been read usually state attach a temporary filling loop whichever must be left disconnected.

I added a towel rad recently and after I’d filled up and vented it all. The bloke muscled in and cracked open the filling loop, I said oh it’s alright I’ve filled it enough and all the airs out -“oh I always have it like that cos the pressure drops overnight“ he says.
Hadn’t mentioned it to me before, he thought it was perfectly ok as the boiler worked if he did it but didn’t work otherwise.
Needless to say I informed him of his errant ways, they’re all out there.

I see them connected nearly all of the time- I like to disconnect and if they don't have caps, put some caps on. I had one where it had been secretly dripping and turned into a right nightmare. I also know that a lot of the time it saves a call back if it's air that get's dislogged and then the pressure drops after works, so guys leave them connected so customer can top up. A better question for me is - do you teach customers how to connect the filling loop and top up the system?
Some are not capable! It's a minor job to top up the system and should they be allowed to do it , or should you drag yourself all the way over to do it?

What about the thousands of auto fill loops (unfortunately) fitted?.

Good point! At least auto fill loops can still be turned off and only turned on for brief period to top up a system automatically, or to refill a system.
I like the idea of systems with auto fill loops only as enabling us to turn water on to it and we can leave it while we bleed the system.
Really don’t want the risks of a permanently connected fill to a sealed system in case in the event of a nail in pipe sort of scenario some day

I think the "TOP UP Mate" (posted on here) limits the volume of water through it to prevent a flood but of course very small leaks over time cause severe corrosion/sludge build up due to the constant make up and remain undetected.

I agree, the fact that pressure drops and the boiler won’t work is almost always the first chance to realise that there is a problem - the auto top up things hide that problem and therefore make the consequences worse than they should have been.

Reply to Filling Loops - are they ever removed? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock