Search the forum,

Discuss Figuring out CH system - problems in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello

Moved into our house 2 months ago and encountered our fair share of issues. So much so that I hadn't even tested to see if the CH system works until now.

Diagrams below, the way to think of the house is as two separate properties as it got a large extension a few years ago and all the plumbing and electrics are independent of each other.

Issues
(1) UFH in extension bathroom not working (other UFH feeding same manifold work and wiring centre shows it is getting feed from bathroom i.e. is this likely to be a faulty actuator?)
(2) There is a wet towel rail in extension bathroom that works when I crank up the radiator temperature on combi boiler itself. Is it normal for there not to be a programmer in this instance?
(3) UFH in original property has three pipe routes to the manifold but no actuators/on a single zone. To split them into multiple zones is just a primarily electrical fix i.e. actuators/wiring centre/room stats?

Finally, not an issue per se, but I'm going to hire a central heating expert to change the system, new boiler in original property etc. I would like to go Bosch boiler, and Bosch Smart TRVs for the radiators we have. Only problem is, I haven't see much joy with Bosch smart systems and UFH. I'm aware they sell a Bosch Smart Room Thermostat for UFH in Germany (which connects directly to a actuators). Does anyone know how best to go full smart Bosch for a house with rads and UFH or another brand does it better?

1628675196019.png

1628675218782.png

Thanks in advance!!

In number 1 - check the room thermostat is ok, if independen, if not, likely to be actuator yes.
Number 2 - not necessarily a programmer, unless linked to another part of system, a zone valve might be better.
Number 3 - unsure as don‘t know much about ufh, or what boiler works best with them.

In number 1 - check the room thermostat is ok, if independen, if not, likely to be actuator yes.
Number 2 - not necessarily a programmer, unless linked to another part of system, a zone valve might be better.
Number 3 - unsure as don‘t know much about ufh, or what boiler works best with them.
Thank you, had a closer inspection on (1) and the wiring centre indicates it's getting a signal from tstat which is good. I did notice the actuator position indicator remained down whereas for zones it was working it was up which gives me more comfort it's just a faulty actuator.

Now I know they're cheap and from electric perspective I'm comfortable but...and this may be stupid question: can I just unscrew existing and replace on manifold or do I need to isolate the manifold/turn off the water first?

Keep in mind that a UFH system has to be running for several hours, at least, before the floors start to feel warm. At this time of year you'll need to trick the UFH into working as the ambient temperature is high enough for it not to be needed.

I would advise against importing grey market German spec heating equipment or controls. A lot of UK heating engineers won't touch them, they may not comply with UK Building Regulations and getting spares will be difficult and time consuming thanks to Brexit.

Keep in mind that a UFH system has to be running for several hours, at least, before the floors start to feel warm. At this time of year you'll need to trick the UFH into working as the ambient temperature is high enough for it not to be needed.

I would advise against importing grey market German spec heating equipment or controls. A lot of UK heating engineers won't touch them, they may not comply with UK Building Regulations and getting spares will be difficult and time consuming thanks to Brexit.
Thanks Chuck. I've basically pumped it up on tstat to request a balmy 27C hoping thats enough for it to kick on. The pipes coming out of the manifold to most zones are warm, just the one not playing ball.

I tend to agree re grey market stuff. Although not cheap, it just looks like the EvoHome by Honeywell is best suited to my mix of rad and UFH.

@Mjward if you have a Facebook account why not join the "Heating System Design" group and post your queries/questions about system design and upgrade. I'm an admin on there and can allow you access. Within the group are many people familiar with your needs and quite a few people from the various boiler brands. All the advise given here is sound advice but I think you might gather a lot more information within this group. I understand these systems but I'm not gas certified and Im certainly not familiar with what brand of boilers are capable of what. I think you'll find a lot of people would say avoid Worcester and choose a manufacturer like Viessmann or Vaillant.

Reply to Figuring out CH system - problems in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock