Search the forum,

Discuss Ferroli compact 30 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys, I heeded and took your advice regarding calling in a Gas Safe engineer to look at this F5 fault on this Ferroli compact 30 boiler. It was good advice and I thank you for it. As I explained I am an electrical/ electronic engineer. When the gas engineer called he immediately took a look at the fan which was although free was not turning. I was able to assist the gas engineer with my expertise as he confessed that his knowledge of electrics was limited . We had some very strange readings with his meter and both sides of the motor was live with respect to earth . I knew the mains supply was the correct polarity and so suspected we had lost the neutral supply somewhere. After going around in circles for a while I found what the issue was. When they put the cables into the non reversible plug which feeds the pcb they had reversed the wires ie neutral was live and visa versus see picture. So the reason the supply to the fan was live with respect to earth was that the neutral was in fact the live.
We still have a fault where the fan is not working , I have the pcb on the bench right now, the relay that switches the fan on is mechanically and electrically sound but too tired tonight. The gas engineer will return tomorrow and do his checks, I suspect I will have to replace the pcb and get it all checked out. Thanks for advice fellas, anyone familiar with this pan.

Rog
9424B451-A450-49DE-A1AD-3BF89844CA6F.jpeg

Just an update on my quest to find this F5 fault. My gas engineer removed the fan and it’s tested ok on my bench. I have reversed the neutral and live input to the board and now everthing is making sense when taking voltage measurements, we now have zero voltage on fan where as we had 230 volts before. As the fan is ok, I tested the board on my bench and found that the relay which switches the fan is mechanically and electrically ok. The voltages on the board seem to be it the ball park but that’s about as far as I can go without a circuit. I’ve asked my gas engineer if that there are any sensors that would inhibit the relay being pulled in but he was unsure . I’ve taken a punt and orders a reconditioned board. Had it very cheap and it’s under 12 months warranty. As my fault finding experience tells me, if it doesn’t cure the problem at we have eliminated from mystery .
Thanks for listening
Rog

Update, diagnosis correct, reconditioned board came today , fitted, fired up straight away. Gas engineer checked it all out and reassembled . Thanks for your help and advice.
Rog

Reply to Ferroli compact 30 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good morning all I hope you are all well? I am after a bit of advice please, I am looking to fit a Drayton LWC1 wiring centre into my boiler circuit as the wiring is incorrect, someone has linked the Neutral and HW off wires in the programmer circuit for some reason. Looking at the wiring...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
I need some help with a Worcester Junior 28i gas boiler and I'm hoping someone here may have came across this fault before ... I have checked the following: 240v at supply connections All internal push on connections are correctly fitted to the PCB board The transformer is giving the correct...
Replies
Views
In our Village Hall we have a Ideal Concord CXS/SD40/H central heating boiler. This was installed new when we had an extension built and the existing boiler needed upgrading. The Mechanical Engineers advising the architect insisted that we had a conventional cast iron combustion chamber boiler...
Replies
Views
S
Hi all, looking for some advice please. So I've got a 25 year old Ideal classic NF40 boiler. We live in a naturally warm house so only have the heating and water on for an hour in the morning and an hour at night. The last week or so we've noticed it's stinking of gas on start up. Pilot light is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock