Search the forum,

Discuss Fast Track courses what's the truth? Ex Military, needs advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone

I am leaving the forces after 23 years shortly and want to retrain as a gas engineer, growing up in a trades household I was pretty much dragged out with my old man regularly with the hope of earning a quid. However that was 20+ years ago.I joined the Navy not as an engineer but have enough nouse about me to grasp things quick.

Serious question though. I can't afford to go to college for 3 years doing an apprenticeship for obvious reasons being 37, kids and mortgage and every thread I read is old and bold tradies slamming the short courses.

I get it I really do, but what options do I have? have you done the fast track course? did you find a job? have you employed someone like me?Do I bite the bullet and take my degree, iosh quals and project manager quals and do a job for £40k that I'll Damning hate until I die?

40 K , that probably more than you will earn in this job pal .
But money aint everything !!

Yep your pension is your safegaurd , both my bro in laws are ex army , good but well earnt pensions.
My youngest bro in law went in to this industry but the army paid , by the sounds of it you are paying , please be careful with any fast track courses , we get loads on here were they have paid a fortune and end up with no job at the end of it.

Yep your pension is your safegaurd , both my bro in laws are ex army , good but well earnt pensions.
My youngest bro in law went in to this industry but the army paid , by the sounds of it you are paying , please be careful with any fast track courses , we get loads on here were they have paid a fortune and end up with no job at the end of it.

Most my training and accommodation costs will be paid for by my resettlement grant and ELCAS grants so it will end up costing me about £1k.

My thinking is, do the course get a job working for companies not that strict on experience required for a couple years, then use my lump sum to start up on my own. Or I could do the level 1 and 2 part time at college whilst I'm still in the navy, then do the course after to hone some skills, the course I looked at was 11 weeks I total including 40 day placement. They reckon they find jobs for 65% of students.

I think it's achievable but wanted some honest views.

Ask to speak to the 65% historically who found jobs. Also most companies want experience over bits of paper.

Just things to bear in mind but sounds like you have your head screwed on.

Good luck.

Hi
Not many companies will,take you on knowing they will train you up and in two years you will leave and take a chunk of their customers or work.

Why not go for a normal repair plumber. You need experience and a knack for the job. But no formal qualifications are needed.
Both self employed will earn just about the same. Then do gas if you enjoy the job.

Hi
Not many companies will,take you on knowing they will train you up and in two years you will leave and take a chunk of their customers or work.

Why not go for a normal repair plumber. You need experience and a knack for the job. But no formal qualifications are needed.
Both self employed will earn just about the same. Then do gas if you enjoy the job.

obviously I'm not going to walk in the door and tell them I want to set up on my own...who would be crazy enough to do that?

Thanks for the advice though,I find it hard looking through these posts, it's full of tradies telling me there is no work and the money is crap, yet I can never get one that's free and watch them drive around in £40k transporters all day I think some people are telling porkies on here... maybe they think I'm a HRMC spy...

look at what @pjjunior has posted mate. Click on his name then read the thread. Or click on the search bar at the top Of the page and type in the word military. Read what’s there. Most of the boys on here are college or apprentice trained. I’m ex services and yes it can work. It’s hard graft but it can work.

look at what @pjjunior has posted mate. Click on his name then read the thread. Or click on the search bar at the top Of the page and type in the word military. Read what’s there. Most of the boys on here are college or apprentice trained. I’m ex services and yes it can work. It’s hard graft but it can work.

I can't seem to find it, I cannot view his profile and searching his name or military doesn't work.

Click on his name in harvests post and then click on 10 where it says messages. Takes you to the messages he's posted.

got it thanks, so basically, how big are my balls to go for it and how much can I graft to get it.
Pretty much. I think there are only 3 or 4 of us on here that have done what you are about to that are self employed that have made it work. But couldn’t be bothered to type it all out again. Sorry it has been a long day.

I have done the fast track course on my resettlement time & yes it does give you a very basic working knowledge of the industry.

I was a WAFU (M trade) with 26.5 years aircraft engineering experience under my belt but getting to grips with different terminology & heating system operation & wiring is challenging but so rewarding when you sort out a pig of a problem that others have been unable to & restoring heating or water for the less able in our society.

The main thing to get to grips with is the hrs & also the limits of your knowledge.

It is a hard graft out there and the companies promising the earth are talking bollocks.

I used Access training in wales at the time but these are no longer accredited trainers as also are quite a few who did not meet the M.O.D's criteria. (Good trainers but the office management (directors) where very elusive at times when people were disgruntled.

The main issue as everyone mentions is experience, you will be at the bottom of the pile but as long as you are open to hard work and continual learning, (everyday is a school day) then you should be ok.

Do as many manufacturers courses as you can and don't worry about feeling guilty about taking time off work in your last remaining months of service.

Above all don't do anything if you are not 100% happy and always ask questions,

Hope this helps & good luck,

Andy

I have done the fast track course on my resettlement time & yes it does give you a very basic working knowledge of the industry.

I was a WAFU (M trade) with 26.5 years aircraft engineering experience under my belt but getting to grips with different terminology & heating system operation & wiring is challenging but so rewarding when you sort out a pig of a problem that others have been unable to & restoring heating or water for the less able in our society.

The main thing to get to grips with is the hrs & also the limits of your knowledge.

It is a hard graft out there and the companies promising the earth are talking bollocks.

I used Access training in wales at the time but these are no longer accredited trainers as also are quite a few who did not meet the M.O.D's criteria. (Good trainers but the office management (directors) where very elusive at times when people were disgruntled.

The main issue as everyone mentions is experience, you will be at the bottom of the pile but as long as you are open to hard work and continual learning, (everyday is a school day) then you should be ok.

Do as many manufacturers courses as you can and don't worry about feeling guilty about taking time off work in your last remaining months of service.

Above all don't do anything if you are not 100% happy and always ask questions,

Hope this helps & good luck,

Andy

WAFU mentioning hard graft? well I don't k ow where to start on that lol. I'm a chef by trade so grafting is not an issue. I appreciate the advice shipmate. Thanks for taking the time.

WAFU mentioning hard graft? well I don't k ow where to start on that lol. I'm a chef by trade so grafting is not an issue. I appreciate the advice shipmate. Thanks for taking the time.
Chef, graft and navy all in one post. I’ve had enough I going to bed.:D:D:p:p

Navy Chefs are on a different level to the boil in the bag slop jockeys you would have been used to. We do some serious hours on a ship. Even WAFU can't deny that lol
To be fair I’ll give you that one. I’ve eaten in a few navy cook houses when I was in and it is decent food.

They maybe bud but they ain't paid for and are all mortgaged to the hilt what your proposing is possible but hard graft , we earn a decent living but often it's a 60 hour week and drowning in paperwork but I wouldn't go back to being employed all the best . Kop

Reply to Fast Track courses what's the truth? Ex Military, needs advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock