Search the forum,

Discuss Facebook and social media advertising in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Modern young couples with an SUV maybe kid and a mortgage are facebook people but local type people with connections will go by word of mouth
centralheatking

So do I but don’t think he has any problems with leaks so each to there own

Or they dont say they have a problem with leaks. I just imagine those are the types of fittings that 10 years down the line your working on something further down and they come apart in your hands.

Or they dont say they have a problem with leaks. I just imagine those are the types of fittings that 10 years down the line your working on something further down and they come apart in your hands.

Normally happens to me anyway find the flux has held them :D

@JasetheMace Oh, I'm so relieved and pleased that you have found my advice helpful. :)
If I may suggest something else?
Ask your customers (especially new enquiries) "Have you checked out my facebook page?" and see their response. Ask them to follow you if you feel comfortable about it (they may do so without being asked).
2 things will come out of that question: 1. They may follow you and build up your network. 2. You are doing some market research and you may find that people have already checked you out but you just didn't know about it.

When I call people up, I try and tell people where I found them to help them know where their leads are coming from.

Like your colleagues have said, I also don't think that Facebook advertising (paid for adverts that is) would attract the type of customers that you would want by the sounds of things. I don't know how much Facebook advertising costs, but if it were me, and I know that it is controversial amongst the trades, but I see it from a consumer's point of view here, I would put the money into Checkatrade rather.
The electricians forums had a couple of recent threads about Checkatrade, which are a balanced read:
Trusted Trader/Bark/MyBuilder/CheckaTrade in a new area
Trust a trader, checkatrade, rated people
I know of heating businesses that have been long established but are on Checkatrade and have been for many years. I also know of plumbers that move to a new area and put themselves on Checkatrade to build up their business.

I don't want to dig up my long post again but I forgot to mention that doing what is easiest also comes into it. If someone comes recommended (or they know of a company), then that is much easier and a shorter route for the consumer to get the job done, without the risk of trying someone "untested". However, not everyone has the ability to ask a friend and so a tradesperson showing work that they have done on Facebook is effectively showing that other people have "tested" them out, but with photographic evidence of their work and they are varied, regular postings. It is far more believable/trustworthy than reading reviews - the consumer can see for themselves.

Riley said:
In my humble opinion I think all customers young and old respond to politeness, punctuality, showing interest in the project or job no matter how small, making at least 5 minutes to have a chat with your customer at the end and explain what you’ve done and why you’ve done it. That to me is far more important than a bells and whistles website or FB page.
I totally agree on that, and it's especially important as you say for repeat business. But how does one "get your foot in the door" in the first instance? Amongst all of the competition out there, how do you ensure that you get the call rather than a competitor. That's what I was trying to give my perspective on as a consumer.
Marketing is showing off, but you are showing off to potential customers. The type of posts I'm referring to on Facebook are aimed at potential customers that do not have the knowledge and understanding as those in the industry do.
The likes of the Instagram video are aimed at showing off to others in the industry.

It is important to separate selling and marketing I only really got to understand this recently.
A small ready established outfit
probably sells its service by reputation and word of mouth and its customers have already made their mind up before they call or know a happy customer
A new or expanding outfit needs to market..which is the facebook type model ..which says ..hello I am out here have a look
There is no right and wrong but you need to understand what you want to do to be effective
Rob Foster aka centralheatking
You are exactly right and have put that very well Rob. Basically, a consumer would think, why should I pay sole-trader X, whom I don't know at all, versus X company whom I have heard of? And then it comes back to the issue of trust and back to my long post.

As you say Rob, Checkatrade and Facebook is only of use if you need to become established or expand - ie. market to those that are not reached via word of mouth. If you are already at the stage that you have enough work through word of mouth then you have to consider if you want to have the associated upkeep of such sites. They could still be of advantage to you or they could be a hindrance.

In the case of @Harvest Fields for example then, unless you wish to expand, by "onboarding" your existing clients to write you Facebook reviews, there seems to be little point in you setting up a Facebook page as you are doing fine. I've been thinking about why your customers may be asking you to setup a Facebook page Harvest Fields and I just think that it is because customers can see that your work is extremely good and feel that you should be showcasing it/yourself so that they can refer their Facebook friends to you via it.
But this can be done with a website that has a number of photos on it and customers can refer that way - there is no need to build up the same level of trust with a word of mouth referral.
Another reason could be effort - customers can easily Mention you on Facebook and it is easy for them to make a referral. But this puts the burden on you to have a Facebook page, unless you were happy with it just being a holding page with your contact details.
Having a Facebook page also opens you up to another issue - Facebook messaging - I wouldn't want to start getting into Facebook messaging over some complex issue. Rather pick up the phone - I'm sure you would too. I suppose it can be dealt with by just asking the customer to call you - but it's another app to have on your phone so that you don't miss any messages.

I apologise in advance, I don't mean to tread on anyone's toes, I am just trying to be helpful. :)

@JasetheMace Oh, I'm so relieved and pleased that you have found my advice helpful. :)
If I may suggest something else?
Ask your customers (especially new enquiries) "Have you checked out my facebook page?" and see their response. Ask them to follow you if you feel comfortable about it (they may do so without being asked).
2 things will come out of that question: 1. They may follow you and build up your network. 2. You are doing some market research and you may find that people have already checked you out but you just didn't know about it.

When I call people up, I try and tell people where I found them to help them know where their leads are coming from.

Like your colleagues have said, I also don't think that Facebook advertising (paid for adverts that is) would attract the type of customers that you would want by the sounds of things. I don't know how much Facebook advertising costs, but if it were me, and I know that it is controversial amongst the trades, but I see it from a consumer's point of view here, I would put the money into Checkatrade rather.
The electricians forums had a couple of recent threads about Checkatrade, which are a balanced read:
Trusted Trader/Bark/MyBuilder/CheckaTrade in a new area
Trust a trader, checkatrade, rated people
I know of heating businesses that have been long established but are on Checkatrade and have been for many years. I also know of plumbers that move to a new area and put themselves on Checkatrade to build up their business.

I don't want to dig up my long post again but I forgot to mention that doing what is easiest also comes into it. If someone comes recommended (or they know of a company), then that is much easier and a shorter route for the consumer to get the job done, without the risk of trying someone "untested". However, not everyone has the ability to ask a friend and so a tradesperson showing work that they have done on Facebook is effectively showing that other people have "tested" them out, but with photographic evidence of their work and they are varied, regular postings. It is far more believable/trustworthy than reading reviews - the consumer can see for themselves.

I totally agree on that, and it's especially important as you say for repeat business. But how does one "get your foot in the door" in the first instance? Amongst all of the competition out there, how do you ensure that you get the call rather than a competitor. That's what I was trying to give my perspective on as a consumer.
Marketing is showing off, but you are showing off to potential customers. The type of posts I'm referring to on Facebook are aimed at potential customers that do not have the knowledge and understanding as those in the industry do.
The likes of the Instagram video are aimed at showing off to others in the industry.

You are exactly right and have put that very well Rob. Basically, a consumer would think, why should I pay sole-trader X, whom I don't know at all, versus X company whom I have heard of? And then it comes back to the issue of trust and back to my long post.

As you say Rob, Checkatrade and Facebook is only of use if you need to become established or expand - ie. market to those that are not reached via word of mouth. If you are already at the stage that you have enough work through word of mouth then you have to consider if you want to have the associated upkeep of such sites. They could still be of advantage to you or they could be a hindrance.

In the case of @Harvest Fields for example then, unless you wish to expand, by "onboarding" your existing clients to write you Facebook reviews, there seems to be little point in you setting up a Facebook page as you are doing fine. I've been thinking about why your customers may be asking you to setup a Facebook page Harvest Fields and I just think that it is because customers can see that your work is extremely good and feel that you should be showcasing it/yourself so that they can refer their Facebook friends to you via it.
But this can be done with a website that has a number of photos on it and customers can refer that way - there is no need to build up the same level of trust with a word of mouth referral.
Another reason could be effort - customers can easily Mention you on Facebook and it is easy for them to make a referral. But this puts the burden on you to have a Facebook page, unless you were happy with it just being a holding page with your contact details.
Having a Facebook page also opens you up to another issue - Facebook messaging - I wouldn't want to start getting into Facebook messaging over some complex issue. Rather pick up the phone - I'm sure you would too. I suppose it can be dealt with by just asking the customer to call you - but it's another app to have on your phone so that you don't miss any messages.

I apologise in advance, I don't mean to tread on anyone's toes, I am just trying to be helpful. :)
A whole load of great advice, should of mentioned that we have just moved and looking to expand, plus we are already paying a lot of money on other advertising, rather not say which as they all work brilliantly, I have been here 12 months now and not 1 days break. Facebook is part of my expansion plans. Last winter I was doing 12 hour days and only arrived in area 4 months before, this winter I think we will be non stop but not quite enough to take on an engineer full time.

A whole load of great advice, should of mentioned that we have just moved and looking to expand, plus we are already paying a lot of money on other advertising, rather not say which as they all work brilliantly, I have been here 12 months now and not 1 days break. Facebook is part of my expansion plans. Last winter I was doing 12 hour days and only arrived in area 4 months before, this winter I think we will be non stop but not quite enough to take on an engineer full time.
I understand how hard it is every day, but it is especially hard during an initial startup or expansion and I take my hat off to you. You seem to be well on your way and I wish you all the best for your future. :)

Yes, Facebook paid advertising works, and it can be cheaper than Google, it's definitely effective, and less competitive right now. I use it to generate leads and get more bathroom quotes booked in.

Like any form of marketing... you need to have a good follow-up/sales system in place after you get the leads (phone numbers), you need to make sure you're following up with calls, texts, and emails to get that quote booked in.

This is a screenshot of an advertising campaign I used on social media, the goal of the advert is to get potential customers to click on it so they can get a bathroom quote.

Screenshot-2019-07-17-at-12.01.23.png

I'll explain the math in this picture.

$8.40 (£6) is the average cost of a new contact/lead who clicked the advert

Out of all the people that click the advert to claim a quotation... after being put through the qualification process, about 40/50% give me their details (Such as phone number/location).

So it's $16-$20 (£13-£18) is the per lead who gives you a phone number to arrange a quote...

The close rate from quotes given to jobs started is 1 in 3...
So for every 3 quotes, he gets one successful job

That means with this method, one job cost him between $48-$60 (£40-£50)

Yes, Facebook paid advertising works, and it can be cheaper than Google, it's definitely effective, and less competitive right now. I use it to generate leads and get more bathroom quotes booked in.

Like any form of marketing... you need to have a good follow-up/sales system in place after you get the leads (phone numbers), you need to make sure you're following up with calls, texts, and emails to get that quote booked in.

This is a screenshot of an advertising campaign I used on social media, the goal of the advert is to get potential customers to click on it so they can get a bathroom quote.

Out of all the people that click the advert to claim a quotation... after being put through the qualification process, about 40/50% give me their details (Such as phone number/location).

So it's $16-$20 (£13-£18) is the per lead who gives you a phone number to arrange a quote...

Would love to see the advert you use to get that many clicks, I get 3000-5000 views, 1 click and no leads.

Would love to see the advert you use to get that many clicks, I get 3000-5000 views, 1 click and no leads.

This is the result of a static image Ad

Are you using video?

What's the goal of your Ad? (specifically)

It sounds like the targeting is off, or the message in the advert isn't congruent with the 'call to action'.

Send me a link to your advert and i'll check it over for you

So every customer costs £40-50??? And every lead costs $8??? That's not good advertising that's extortion. I use a magazine and that's £150 for 3 months and I get around 2/3 calls a week from them this time of year during the winter make that 7/8.

The only company winning from your post is facebook.

So every customer costs £40-50??? And every lead costs $8??? That's not good advertising that's extortion. I use a magazine and that's £150 for 3 months and I get around 2/3 calls a week from them this time of year during the winter make that 7/8.

So you add £40 to every new customers bill to make them pay for you doing their work
plain stupid wake up

when you profit £4000/5000 on each bathroom fitted, it's a pretty good return on investment

What magazine are you using?

Yea right come back in 10 years and tell us how we all got it wrong...Bathstore went **** up and kitchen and bathroom outfits come go bankrupt all the time even more often than shopfitters..and they are notorious
chking

when you profit £4000/5000 on each bathroom fitted, it's a pretty good return on investment

But that’s not profit that’s your cost eg the price of the job

Average sale price is 6/7k

Yes so the basic cost isn’t 1-2k is it

Be surprised if there making 1k profit on it more like a couple of hundred

yes the COGS is 1-2k for this, the client charges 6/7k for bathroom supply and installation.

Maybe 2k labour but materials and other items come out of the pot aswell

I’m sorry but that figure is rubbish

Maybe 2k labour but materials and other items come out of the pot aswell

I’m sorry but that figure is rubbish

He's not including labour because he's doing it himself. Even if he wasn't and everything was outsourced and he was just the business owner paying for advertising, and the cost of good sold and labour came to £4k, it would still be £2/3k profit.

How many times would you spend less than £60? or even £100/£200/£300 if you could get £2/3k back each time?

Anyway, the point of this comment was just to let you's know that Facebook advertising can work for your business if used correctly. Just like any other marketing methods you may see, they're all a source to gain more customers.

He's not including labour because he's doing it himself. Even if he wasn't and everything was outsourced and he was just the business owner paying for advertising, and the cost of good sold and labour came to £4k, it would still be £2/3k profit.

How many times would you spend less than £60? or even £100/£200/£300 if you could get £2/3k back each time?

Anyway, the point of this comment was just to let you's know that Facebook advertising can work for your business if used correctly. Just like any other marketing methods you may see, they're all a source to gain more customers.

So it’s still costing him as I very doubt he’s working for free if he is I’m sure a lot of people on here would want his number

And what about insurances, tools, Van, fuel, memberships, tax man etc

And wouldn’t as nothing’s that easy in this life pay £60 get 3k in cash

I run Facebook ads for businesses that want to get more customers.

Mainly for bathroom supply and installation businesses, but also for kitchens, extensions, and landscaping, it's the same method for all of them.

I thought so.

To me it is stupidly expensive but I dobt do top end bathrooms as I dobt do tiling and cant get reliable trades near me.

I just use local magazines and find them cost effective and do not break the bank.

Every business new and old needs to advertise in good times and bad. That might just mean sign written vans or flyers Or it might mean a huge TV/internet campaign depending on what the business is.

People buy brands they trust and people trust brands they recognise.

I’ve had success in the past with social media by directing people to a booking form on my website. The form asked a few questions, allowed the upload photos and gave some indication of price range for jobs. They then had an option to schedule a visit for a quote. This helps massively weed out those wanting a new heating system for £750.

The advantage of social media is it attracts younger people, if you can secure a 25-30 year old as a customer you have a chance of 40 years of work from them. If your adds mainly target retired people this will obviously be a lot less.

I found FB, Instagram etc a waste of time really just lots of time wasters looking for cheapest price possible.

Whereas I find good website and google presence much better. I get a lot of work from it but I always request a google review from customers.

I found FB, Instagram etc a waste of time really just lots of time wasters looking for cheapest price possible.

Whereas I find good website and google presence much better. I get a lot of work from it but I always request a google review from customers.
I think there is a distinct difference between selling and marketing.
Small outfits go out and sell directly. Large outfits will market as well, marketing alerts the potential customers who might buy.
centralheatking

Reply to Facebook and social media advertising in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock