Search the forum,

Discuss Extractor fan vs gas fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all Gas Safe Engineers.

Our kitchen extractor fan is affecting the updraft of our gas fire stove. Our engineer disconnected it and told us to clean the chimney and install extra ventilation in our lounge. We did this but it is still a problem. The engineer has suggested we contact Gazco to see if they have any advice on improving the airflow of the fire (particularly moving the flue from the back of the fire to the top of the stove). I sent an email to Gazco but haven't heard back from them yet.

I've considered installing a chimney fan but have no idea of the cost or effectiveness of these things. I've also been advised that the engineer should be able to calculate the ventilation requirements but I'm not aware of him doing this.

Can anyone suggest the best, most cost-effective, way to deal with the problem? The extractor fan's high speed is very powerful and I have wondered about trying to downgrade its performance?

Thanks in advance.

Are they both in the same room? New fan/ replacement fan? Which was there first?

Employ a different engineer. The previous one has done the bare minimum, if that, and walked out on you. Was he GSR qualified? From your description of the issues, I'm surprised they didn't cutoff the appliances.

Reactions: rpm
The Extract fan is looking for replacement air, even if it has to pull it down the fire's flue.
The gas fire /stove is looking for combustion air.
The extract fan will always win.

The solution is the availability of more air form outside, nearer to the extract fan.

As above.
An incoming air fan would be best, if the extract is as powerful as you say.

This may be OTT in a domestic premises but I have in the past installed an interlock so if the extract fan is used, the gas supply to an appliance is isolated.
Oposite to what we do in commercial kitchens really.

It would obviously have to be designed so it is fail safe and cannot be over ridden. Labelling is important too.

Just a thought!

The Extract fan is looking for replacement air, even if it has to pull it down the fire's flue.
The gas fire /stove is looking for combustion air.
The extract fan will always win.

The solution is the availability of more air form outside, nearer to the extract fan.
That makes sense - thanks!

Employ a different engineer. The previous one has done the bare minimum, if that, and walked out on you. Was he GSR qualified? From your description of the issues, I'm surprised they didn't cutoff the appliances.

Well, he disconnected it. He is qualified.

Ah, yes. It was the gas fire that was disconnected. He's been pretty good really. A friend and a professional who won't bend the rules.

Unless I'm wrong the regs on require you to test with fans in adjoining rooms. You can roughly figure out what size free air is required by test them with a window slightly open, keep opening it alittle more until you get to the point the fire does not spill. Measure the area of the window opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Extractor fan vs gas fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Guys, My chimney failed the test so I need to install a flue liner for my Gazco Stockton gas fire. It was over a year ago when the engineer condemned the chimney and I remember him also saying something about it needing some sort of box fitted into the fire recess but I can't remember the...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
All, Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am in a bit of a predicament. I have recently had a stove fitted in a chimney that had a disconnected and capped gas fire. The old gas line went straight out the back wall and was visibly capped a short distance from the gas meter. A simple pull out job. Upon...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to replace, says National Gas chief Jonathan Leake14 January 2024 • 5:49pm Mr Butterworth, chief executive of National Gas, says the network is powered by...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock