Search the forum,

Discuss External Stopcock Repair Responsibility in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all

Anyone experience of the following situation and can advise please before I contact the local water company?

Commercial (retail) property. Reduced water pressure.

Upon investigation, believe our external stopcock, which is located within our boundary, is leaking as the chamber is full of water.

Would this be our responsibility or the local water company's (Affinity) to repair?

I would contact your water company regardless of ownership it's not unusual for a meter chamber to be full of water in the winter ,but add a reduced supply pressure then there could quite possibly be a leak . Kop

If it is the stopcock closest to the boundary and there isn't another one outside of the boundary, then it will be the water board's responsibility anyway. Even though it is on your land.

Appreciate the replies.

Follow up question - plan to call the water company this week - if they subsequently state it is my responsibility to repair, will they then set me a deadline to get the repair done?

Wondered if perhaps I should get some quotes lined up first before calling them so that I am not scrambling around to get this repaired ASAP.

If it’s on your boundary / your land they will say it’s your responsibility if they do ask them where there main stop tap is so you can work on
Your stop tap

If it’s on your boundary / your land they will say it’s your responsibility if they do ask them where there main stop tap is so you can work on
Your stop tap
Good call. As there should always be a stopcock that IS the water undertaker's responsibility.

Actually, possible alternative plan is don't report the leak at all, but tell the water board you want to isolate your supply to carry our works and where is their stopcock please. Then if they identify the stopcock in question as being theirs, you show them that it's leaking.

Realistically, I doubt the timeframe will be unrealistic. Anglian Water round here are so boodly slow to deal with small leaks...

If there’s a leak which registers on your water meter the point of the time frame is that during that period they will not charge you above your average use- ie not charge you for the lost water. But after the time allocated they may well do do! In reality I’ve always found them reasonable on such matters.

Bit of an update.

There doesn't appear to be a stopcock on the highway which would allow us to isolate our supply - just our water meter.

As such, because our water supply cannot be isolated to enable the repair on the stopcock on our land, would the water company take responsibility and do the repair?

Is the water Meter underground in a plastic box in the street / highway?

If so there will be a stop tap but possibly not as you would recognise.
Can you get a photo pointing down at the meter.

If there isn't a stop tap in the street then the Water Co. will fit one F.O.C

Reply to External Stopcock Repair Responsibility in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock