Search the forum,

Discuss External Stop Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

My external stop valve is located in my rear garden. It is under ground and very old (1970). I am building rear extension and It will be in new extension. My water line is a shared line that provides water to 2 properties before and 1 after my property.

I have been trying to locate the water main stop valve that stop the water for all properties and also raised query with the water company. They said It is start of the line but did not find any. They said if I find, there is no guarantee that it will work because water company does not maintain these stop valves any more.

What are the options available to relocate the stop tap without turning off the main stop valve that I am unable to find.

Many thanks

1970 isn't "Very Old".
Where abouts in the U.K is this?
When were the houses built, it would be unusual to have had a shared service in 1970.?

The plumber you employ to carry out the alterations to the pipework will not have any trouble isolating the water

1970 isn't "Very Old".
Where abouts in the U.K is this?
When were the houses built, it would be unusual to have had a shared service in 1970.?

The plumber you employ to carry out the alterations to the pipework will not have any trouble isolating the water

Thanks for your reply. House is in London. House was build between 1960-1970s. Same line provides water to 4 properties. I spoken to builder today and he was not sure. What kind of isolation techniques we can use here? By speaking to water company they suggested freeze the pipe.

Depending on the pipe type it's either freeze, squeeze off or snatch.

You'll need the agreement of the other 3 properties to cut off the water.

Thames Water are a bunch of money saving twits. Each property should have a separate shut off ...how will they install water meters and where. Get back on to them . I would give it a smack report the leak and then they will turn up...they dont like gushers.
centralheatking ...more later

Hey team I have a follow-up question to this.

Is it common for a council flat ground floor maisonette to only have an external stopcock? Or should there be an internal one too?

Reply to External Stop Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock