Search the forum,

Discuss Extending heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi. My first post and I am not a professionel just a retired engineer and a keen diyer so please bear with me if I get some terminology wrong.
We are in the process of adding an extension to our house. Two floors. I am going to need to extend the heating system and am wondering what I should be looking out for. We will be using a professional to do the work but I like to understand what they will be talking about.
I have done some plumbing over the years, moving pipes, replacing bathrooms but I am not up to date with current regs and this is a fairly large job. We will be needing to add two or three radiators to a fully pumped sealed system which is about ten years old. Would anybody care to offer an opinion as to what I might expect to have to change. Mainly I am interested to have an idea as to whether adding radiators to the system will need more than just some pipework. For instance we have, in the existing system, two radiators just the other side of a convenient wall, one upstairs and one down, would it be possible to tee off the feed and return on these and go through the wall and then add a radiator the other side.
This for starters, if I am being an idiot I am sure someone will tell me but any comments and advice would be appreciated. I do understand I will probably need to give more details before anybody can comment.
Thanks in advance.
josh.

Wellcome Josh 10
Having rads installed back to back from a single flow & return is common place so this will not be a problem.
In simple terms the heating pipes have a heat carrying capacity depending on system designed temperature difference between the flow & return.
If you have a 10year old gas boiler it should have been designed to run with a 20deg C delta T. in which case 15mm will be able to supply 11000 Watts & 22mm up to 23000W, it is therefore possible to back work the existing rads & adding the new to ensure that no pipework leg exceeds these amounts all things being equal there should be enough water flow when rads have been balanced to provide the correct heat for all of them.

Wellcome Josh 10
Having rads installed back to back from a single flow & return is common place so this will not be a problem.
In simple terms the heating pipes have a heat carrying capacity depending on system designed temperature difference between the flow & return.
If you have a 10year old gas boiler it should have been designed to run with a 20deg C delta T. in which case 15mm will be able to supply 11000 Watts & 22mm up to 23000W, it is therefore possible to back work the existing rads & adding the new to ensure that no pipework leg exceeds these amounts all things being equal there should be enough water flow when rads have been balanced to provide the correct heat for all of them.
Hi Chris. Thanks for the super quick response. From what you say, dependant on certain parameters we should be able to add a couple of radiators with out too much of a problem. I take it '20deg C delta T' are the regs the boiler should have been built to. This gives me something to discuss with the engineer when he or she comes.
Thanks again.
josh.
[automerge]1568533405[/automerge]
It depends on the pipe size and number of radiators supplied by that pipe
10mm for one radiators & 15mm for 2/3 radiators as a rough guide

You may need additional expansion to cope with the extra water content
scott d. Thanks for your response. That makes sense to me the bigger the supply pipe the more radiators it can cope with. The circuit here is all 15mm. Some copper. some plastic. I don't know at the moment if we have more than one circuit. Perhaps one for ground floor and a separate one for the upper floor.
Anyway, thanks again.
josh.

Not regs but if condensing then design but the system has to be sized accordingly, so rads selected to giver the required amount of heat with (normally) boiler set to 70deg C flow if heating a cylinder for hot water as well.

Not regs but if condensing then design but the system has to be sized accordingly, so rads selected to giver the required amount of heat with (normally) boiler set to 70deg C flow if heating a cylinder for hot water as well.
Thanks Chris.
I think design was what I meant to say, not regs. It's the regs that control the design.
josh.

Yes that's the one I use to bring the system up to pressure. If it's of use I run the system at 1bar.
I also have a grey one. Not sure what it does. I really should investigate.

The grey vessels are usually for potable water on the unvented cylinder although the colours for potable/heating system only cannot be relied on 100%. I have made the mistake of telling a customer some joker fitted a heating type vessel on their unvented cylinder but on closer inspection it was indeed marked as suitable for potable use.

It's also possible that your expansion vessel was determined to be undersized and they added a second one in addition to the first for the heating system.

If you put a sketch plan of the existing layout and the new bit in another colour indicating current pipe od...15mm or 22mm we might be able to suggest some short cuts and nifty ideas we have used
centralheatking

Reply to Extending heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock