Search the forum,

Discuss Expanssion Vessel - water coming out in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I've got a Ideal Logic 30 - I was cleaning out the trap as it sometimes gets clogged up and tried the pressure on the expansion vessel and only water came out (boiler was switched off but not drained) is this normal or do I need to call out a plumber to change the Expansion Vessel?

edit: the boiler seems to be working ok but sometimes the pressure drops to 0 if it hasn't been used for a long period. If its in regular use its fine.

Thanks

Shouldn’t be messing with a boiler unless your qualified

Thanks will get someone out to look at it

On a side note we get it serviced every year by the same guy, due about Oct/Nov time, should he be checking the water in the radiators as he has never suggested inhibitor or a flushing them? (We have a couple of quite old radiators on the system).

Also we have a magnetic device attached - does that need cleaning too?

Our is it a case of if its working just leave it?

A full service is a strip down as below draining the boiler re pressurise the expansion vessel throughly clean the heat exchanger, electrodes, and the condense trap, the magnetic filter needs cleaning every year , if its longer than 5 years I would be draining the system flushing it and refilling the system adding a quality inhibitor . Regards Kop

Attachments

• IMG_20201105_140241.jpg
    IMG_20201105_140241.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 22
A service of the boiler is generally defined in the manufacturer's instructions which will be available online.
A service of the heating system is as above.
When some customers request a service they want the bare minimum and wouldn't pay for any more. Some want a 5 star service as above. It's often a tricky issue of how far to go beyond the mi's.
Some customers request a service when actually there's a fault so make sure you mention the vessel to the engineer.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Sounds like we have been getting the bare minimun service - pay about £45, I'm guessing that he just checks if the boiler is working correctly and spots faults. We had a part changed about 3 years ago - pressure was rising and dumping water outside - not sure the part but I think it was a difficult part to replace as the technician kept telling me how he hated Ideal Boilers :) (we got it fitted under a government scheme so had no choice)

So I think my plan of action is to get the fault fixed asap then try and get a better service next time.

I fitted some Evohome valves and replaced a radiator recently and put some inhibitor in the system after putting cleaning fluided in for a few weeks (thinks thats the first time its had it - the boiler is about 6-7 years old) so I don't mind doing that every year. We actually took the old radiator off and flushed it outside, there was alot of gunk in it so I flushed the rest of the system out - again lots of gunk.

The only thing I've touched on the boiler is the siphon trap (we called ideal out within the first year as the pressure was dropping and he showed me how to do it) as it gets clogged up about every 6 months but this time the pipe to it was fully clogged.

Lack of maintenance then ? the engineer is just doing a safety check 😕 , the Syphon should be removed and clean every year it's very important on a ideal aluminium heat exchanger as you can see 👍. Kop

Attachments

• IMG_20200904_134347.jpg
    IMG_20200904_134347.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 14
Depending where you are 45 for a safety check might be dirt cheap. Some guys could pay 20 - 30 in parking congestion charge etc just to turn up. Never mind other overheads.

Lack of maintenance then ? the engineer is just doing a safety check 😕 , the Syphon should be removed and clean every year it's very important on a ideal aluminium heat exchanger as you can see 👍. Kop
Sounds like it - I think the part he was replaced was the heat exchanger which would tie in with what you said.

He's rings up every year and says its time for the boiler to be serviced so we thought thats all we needed, sounds like we are just getting a safety check, as I've looked into changing a radiator I only found out about keeping the pipes clean.

Depending where you are 45 for a safety check might be dirt cheap. Some guys could pay 20 - 30 in parking congestion charge etc just to turn up. Never mind other overheads.
We are in the North East so I think ours will be on the lower end of the scale.

Just an update if anyone searches.

We called out a Ideal accredited engineer. He came round and said it sounds like th PCB or Pump - when he came round it was working fine so he said its a tricky one as there was no obvoius fault at the time. It had been leaking water out of the grey cap at the back right of the boiler.

The L1 fault came up today - no hot water, water was going to the radiators but without heat. So he came around again and said it was either the pump or the PCB but said it could be either after his diagnostic. so he left us with the options

1. Replace the PCB (he thinks about £250 fitted) but warned the pump might need replacing after
2. Replace the Pump (about £100) but warned it could need the PCB changing after.
3. As the boiler was 7 years old look at getting a new boiler - recommended the Ideal Vogue which he could do at around £2400 with 12 year garentee. (he didn't push this I just asked)

He didn't rate the earlier Ideal boilers but says the new ones are very well built.

So we are going to think about it and see whats best for us - any input would be appreciated.

Was there pressure in the system when it faulted ?

I would not fit ideal, and at that PRICE no way. unless there is two ton of pipe work which i think not.

I would not fit ideal, and at that PRICE no way. unless there is two ton of pipe work which i think not.
Any reason why? I mentioned installing a Worcester Boiler and he said it doesn't work well with the evohome system we have.

Get a proper engineer out or get ideal to do a fixed price repair and come to you , the boiler needs a full strip down cleaning and flushing through , if I had to make a educated guess your diverter valve needs attention, PCB I very much doubt , pump hmmm possible but I bet the systems grubby and would benefit from a drain and flush and new inhibitor added ???

Get a proper engineer out or get ideal to do a fixed price repair and come to you , the boiler needs a full strip down cleaning and flushing through , if I had to make a educated guess your diverter valve needs attention, PCB I very much doubt , pump hmmm possible but I bet the systems grubby and would benefit from a drain and flush and new inhibitor added ???
I'll have a look at the fixed option - tell you the truth we are not happy that its only lasted 7 years.

Do we just ask for the Maintanance and support plan from Ideal and then say we have a fault. Out of Warranty Boiler Protection | Repairs | Ideal Heating - https://idealheating.com/support/out-of-warranty-protection

edit: I've just rang and they are going to come back with our options

Are the repair plans any good - do they cover most things? just wondering if they are worth getting with the boiler getting older

Last edited:
I wouldn't get a repair plan, just a one off fix and usually a years warranty ? , and of course a good service should be around £350 ish , gives you time to plan for a new boiler in a year or 2 rather than being forced into it now . Kop

I wouldn't get a repair plan, just a one off fix and usually a years warranty ? , and of course a good service should be around £350 ish , gives you time to plan for a new boiler in a year or 2 rather than being forced into it now . Kop
Just got a quote back £299 for fixed price repair
or
£49 for 6 months repair plan

Going to get a fix and then save for a New boiler. Are Worchester Bosch regarded as the best?

Thanks for all the help from here.

Ask 10 installers and they will all give you a different answer viessmann, Valliant, Baxi , ideal, are my choice. Steer clear of Worcester to much plastic for my liking

Ask 10 installers and they will all give you a different answer viessmann, Valliant, Baxi , ideal, are my choice. Steer clear of Worcester to much plastic for my liking

I went for Viessmans 100-W 35 kW combi , the new version 2021 it works well with my Evohome system using opentherm . It has turn down to 2.9 KW. I have boiler in loft , but usefully can monitor its pressure and flow temperature with Vicare app. The app also also you to set the hot water temperature.

Thanks - just had the Ideal engineers out and he's ordered a loads of parts to be fitted. He said alot had signs of rust on them due to the water leaks over the years. Also a few parts can be damaged when repairing another part so he's ordered them too - so not to leave the boiler offline.

He said the Evohome system was a problem as we only had a towel radiator permantly open - he said we needed 10% of the system on open valves for the boiler to work. I've changed the hall radiator + towel rail to TRVs fully open.

So we are going to see what happens, he say Ideal might even refuse the repair or offer a new boiler.

Just had an update from Ideal and they are turning down the repair as it not economically viable (they won't charge for the call out) - so they are going to give us a ring back and see if they can do us a deal on a new boiler, I said ok but we have been put off as this one has only lasted 7 years.

The engineers said it's working fine at the moment and its safe.

So I think our new plan is see what Ideal offer us, if its not a great deal we'll start looking for a new boiler and hope this one can see us through until we can afford a new one.

Ideally (no pun intended) we would like a boiler than links in well with the evohome system.

Ideal have come back with the following prices, just the boiler, no fitting

(I think she said B Pack Flue??)

Ideal Logic C30 - B pack flue - kerb side Delivery - 2 year Warranty = £662.40 (inc Vat)
Ideal Logic+ C30 - B Pack flue - kerb side Delivery - 7 year Warranty = £728.40 (inc Vat)
Ideal Logic Max C30 - B Pack flue - kerb side Delivery - 10 year Warranty = £806.40 (inc Vat)

What cost would fitting be?

600-1k

Any will do the job to be fair the key to a long life for your new boiler is regular servicing as any small issues get sorted before any serious damage, prices quoted seem reasonable fitting can be around £600 to £1000 depending on the existing system layout . Kop

Ideal have come back with the following prices, just the boiler, no fitting

(I think she said B Pack Flue??)

Ideal Logic C30 - B pack flue - kerb side Delivery - 2 year Warranty = £662.40 (inc Vat)
Ideal Logic+ C30 - B Pack flue - kerb side Delivery - 7 year Warranty = £728.40 (inc Vat)
Ideal Logic Max C30 - B Pack flue - kerb side Delivery - 10 year Warranty = £806.40 (inc Vat)

What cost would fitting be?
Got to be the logic max. 10 year warranty and come with a magnetic filter.

Just an update, think we are going to pass on the logic offer and save for a different make which will work better with the Evohome system.

Reply to Expanssion Vessel - water coming out in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock