Search the forum,

Discuss Expansion vessel pre charge in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
I have a 35litre central heating expansion vessel that has come with a pre charge of 1.5 bar. Does this sound a little heigh? As the pressure in the system will have to rise above 1.5bar for it or absorb any expansion? Thanks

Normally, a E.vessel would be installed pre charged to 1.0 bar and then filled to 1.5 bar, it will then rise to ~ 2 bar with a hot system, no problem. If its pre charged to 1.5 bar and its only filled to 1.5 bar then the final pressure will be practically the same but will have to be topped up more frequently after any air venting etc as there is no reserve. If pre charged to 1.5 bar and filled to 2 bar then the final pressure will be ~ 2.6 bar, still OK but getting a bit near the boiler PRV (safety valve) lifting pressure of 3.0 bar.

Why have you a 35 litre E.vessel for a CH system??, it's normally around 10 to 12 Litre, are you sure its not attached to your unvented HW cylinder? If it is attached to your CH system then the pressure will only rise ~ 0.25bar even with precharge/filling pressures of 1.5/2.0 bar

Last edited:
Normally, a E.vessel would be installed pre charged to 1.0 bar and then filled to 1.5 bar, it will then rise to ~ 2 bar with a hot system, no problem. If its pre charged to 1.5 bar and its only filled to 1.5 bar then the final pressure will be practically the same but will have to be topped up more frequently after any air venting etc as there is no reserve. If pre charged to 1.5 bar and filled to 2 bar then the final pressure will be ~ 2.6 bar, still OK but getting a bit near the boiler PRV (safety valve) lifting pressure of 3.0 bar.

Why have you a 35 litre E.vessel for a CH system??, it's normally around 10 to 12 Litre, are you sure its not attached to your unvented HW cylinder? If it is attached to your CH system then the pressure will only rise ~ 0.25bar even with precharge/filling pressures of 1.5/2.0 bar
It's a big system commerical 35 rads. Plan on running the system at 1 bar cold. I know most expansion vessels in combis are pre charged to 0.75 bar.

If you want to run at 1 bar cold then reduce the pre charge to 1 bar and fill to 1 bar or preferably reduce pre charge to 0.75 bar and fill to 1 bar, even with a system capacity of 500 litres then the hot pressure at 1bar/1bar will only be 1.71 bar and at 0.75bar/1bar, 1.85 bar.

If its pre charged to 1.5 bar and its only filled to 1.5 bar then the final pressure will be practically the same but will have to be topped up more frequently after any air venting etc as there is no reserve.

Would you mind elaborating on this?

If your EV is charged to 1 bar and you top up the system to 1.5 bar, you are utilising the expansion capacity of the vessel when cold, reducing the amount of expansion available when hot. Is there some advantage in doing this (which is what I think you were implying)?

Yes, the advantage is that you have a reserve volume of water to make up for any air venting, micro bubbles collapsing or any tiny leaks without the system pressure falling below your minimum requirement of 1.0 bar before top up is required, you can also monitor for any leakage as the pressure will fall from 1.5 bar cold to 1.0 bar before exhausting this reserve.
If you take a fairly standard CH system of 75 litres with a 12 litre EV pre charged to 1.0 bar and filled to 1.5 bar then you will have a reserve volume of 2.4 litres and a final hot pressure of 1.92 bar, if both pre charge and filling pressure are 1 bar then no reserve and if any slight leakage/venting etc the cold pressure will start falling immediately, but yes, the reserve does reduce the amount of expansion available as the final pressure with no reserve will be 1.26bar (vs 1.92bar), any pressure up to 2.25/2.5 bar is not a problem for any system, one can always install a slightly bigger EV if any worries re final pressure.

You will have to fully de pressurize on the water side before reducing the air side pre charge pressure.
If you have no special concerns re pipework/rads why not leave it at 1.5 bar and initially fill to 1.5 bar, I wouldn't expect the hot pressure to be >2.2 bar and try that, if you fill to say 1.7 bar would expect ~ 2.3 bar, you may well find those final pressures are lower as I calculated them on a system vol of 400 litres which may be lower.

If you do the above and post the findings I can probably calculate the air side reduction required without draining down the system, just ensure all the system up to normal temperature.

You will have to fully de pressurize on the water side before reducing the air side pre charge pressure.
If you have no special concerns re pipework/rads why not leave it at 1.5 bar and initially fill to 1.5 bar, I wouldn't expect the hot pressure to be >2.2 bar and try that, if you fill to say 1.7 bar would expect ~ 2.3 bar, you may well find those final pressures are lower as I calculated them on a system vol of 400 litres which may be lower.

If you do the above and post the findings I can probably calculate the air side reduction required without draining down the system, just ensure all the system up to normal temperature.
Thanks its yet to be fit so if I'm going to depressurise now is the time. I want to run to system at no more then one bar cold. Boiler manufactor specifics this. Also is a convert from open vented to sealed so want to keep the pressure as low as I can. Thanks.

If you want to run at 1 bar cold then reduce the pre charge to 1 bar and fill to 1 bar or preferably reduce pre charge to 0.75 bar and fill to 1 bar, even with a system capacity of 500 litres then the hot pressure at 1bar/1bar will only be 1.71 bar and at 0.75bar/1bar, 1.85 bar.
Can I also ask what would happen if the system was filled to 1 bar cold. And the expansion vessel was left at the pre-charge of 1.5bar? Guessing it wouldn't start using the expansion till it gets to 1.5 bar. So the pressure would rise quiet alot?

Can I also ask what would happen if the system was filled to 1 bar cold. And the expansion vessel was left at the pre-charge of 1.5bar? Guessing it wouldn't start using the expansion till it gets to 1.5 bar. So the pressure would rise quiet alot?
No, since water is virtually non compressible it would almost immediately rise to 1.5 bar (after heating up a few degrees) and would behave exactly the same as if the pre charge and filling pressures are the same ie 1.5 bar.

If the system capacity/precharge/filling are 400ltrs/1.5bar/1.5 bar the final pressure will be ~ 2.16 bar with a 35 litre EV.

If the system capacity/precharge/filling are 400ltrs/1.5bar/1.75 bar the final pressure will be ~ 2.57 bar with a 35 litre EV.

If the system capacity/precharge/filling are 400ltrs/0.75bar/1.0 bar the final pressure will be ~ 1.63 bar with a 35 litre EV.

Last edited:
No, since water is virtually non compressible it would almost immediately rise to 1.5 bar (after heating up a few degrees) and would behave exactly the same as if the pre charge and filling pressures are the same ie 1.5 bar.

If the system capacity/precharge/filling are 400ltrs/1.5bar/1.5 bar the final pressure will be ~ 2.16 bar with a 35 litre EV.

If the system capacity/precharge/filling are 400ltrs/1.5bar/1.75 bar the final pressure will be ~ 2.57 bar with a 35 litre EV.

If the system capacity/precharge/filling are 400ltrs/0.75bar/1.0 bar the final pressure will be ~ 1.63 bar with a 35 litre EV.
Thanks I was going to go with one bar system pressure cold. And a pre charge of 1 bar. This should go up to around 1.75bar did you say?

Normally 0.2 bar below operating pressure matt
Ah so I should drop the pre charge to around 0.8. But then the expansion vessel will use some of its storage even when the systems cold? Interesting thread. Didn't no the ins and out of pre charge pressures etc. Just thought was abit high at 1.5 bar on the vessel bought.

Yes, the advantage is that you have a reserve volume of water to make up for any air venting, micro bubbles collapsing or any tiny leaks without the system pressure falling below your minimum requirement of 1.0 bar before top up is required, you can also monitor for any leakage as the pressure will fall from 1.5 bar cold to 1.0 bar before exhausting this reserve.
If you take a fairly standard CH system of 75 litres with a 12 litre EV pre charged to 1.0 bar and filled to 1.5 bar then you will have a reserve volume of 2.4 litres and a final hot pressure of 1.92 bar, if both pre charge and filling pressure are 1 bar then no reserve and if any slight leakage/venting etc the cold pressure will start falling immediately, but yes, the reserve does reduce the amount of expansion available as the final pressure with no reserve will be 1.26bar (vs 1.92bar), any pressure up to 2.25/2.5 bar is not a problem for any system, one can always install a slightly bigger EV if any worries re final pressure.
I think that answers my above question.

Ah so I should drop the pre charge to around 0.8. But then the expansion vessel will use some of its storage even when the systems cold? Interesting thread. Didn't no the ins and out of pre charge pressures etc. Just thought was abit high at 1.5 bar on the vessel bought.

If the system capacity/precharge/filling are 400ltrs/1.0bar/1.0 bar the final pressure will be ~ 1.53 bar with a 35 litre EV......no reserve

If the system capacity/precharge/filling are 400ltrs/0.8bar/1.0 bar the final pressure will be ~ 1.61 bar with a 35 litre EV......3.5litre reserve

If the system capacity/precharge/filling are 400ltrs/0.8bar/1.5 bar the final pressure will be ~ 2.52 bar with a 35 litre EV......9.84litre reserve

As you say, you can see above that the reserve of 9.84 litres (filling pressure of 1.5bar) eats up more of the expansion which results in a final pressure of 2.52bar vs a filling pressure of 1.0bar which results in a reserve of 3.5litres and a final pressure of 1.61bar.

You can do your own calculations, below. No, you can't, cannot attach a zipped file.

Last edited:
I have also got a little 2 litre vessel to fit for a 7litre under sink heater. That has come. With a pre charge of 1.9bar. Surely this should be 3/3.5 bar? As mains pressure after the reducing valve to the under sink heater will be around 3 bar.

Could be a 2 bar prv

If the pre charge is left at 1.9bar then even with a PRV pressure of 3.5 bar the final pressure will be 4.0 bar, if the precharge is increased to 3.5 bar the final would be 3.81 bar with PRV of 3.5 bar.
You will also require a safety (PRV) valve of 6.0 bar.

Around here AFAIK a E.vessel is not required for water heaters up to 10 litres, the expansion is taken up by the mains, but the nearest cold water draw off must be a minimum distance from the heater. (can't remember what this is).
As you have a PRV (pressure reducing) installed you probably still need the E.vessel as the PRV will act as a NRV.

You can see the various air space and water volumes below in a fairly basic spreadsheet.
If you wish, I can show you how I do these calcs.

System or HWC capacity7.00Litres
Vessel Capacity2.00Litres
Pre Charge Pressure1.90Bar.G
Pre Charge Pressure2.90Bar.A
Filling/supply Pressure3.50Bar.G
Filling Pressure4.50Bar.A
Air Space Vol1.29Litres
Reserve Water Vol0.71Litres
Expansion %1.83%
Expansion0.13Litres
Water Space Vol0.84Litres
Air Space Vol1.16Litres
Final Pressure5.00Bar.A
Final Pressure4.00Bar.G

Its recommended that the pre charge pressure is set 0.2bar lower then the cold water pressure at the cylinder, shown below, as it keeps the diaphragm away from the cylinder end and can help to prevent water hammer. In your case because the EV volume is huge (almost 30%) in comparison with the HW volume then the difference in final pressures between 1.9/3.3bar precharge pressures is only 0.2bar.

System or HWC capacity7.00Litres
Vessel Capacity2.00Litres
Pre Charge Pressure3.30Bar.G
Pre Charge Pressure4.30Bar.A
Filling/supply Pressure3.50Bar.G
Filling Pressure4.50Bar.A
Air Space Vol1.91Litres
Reserve Water Vol0.09Litres
Expansion %1.83%
Expansion0.13Litres
Water Space Vol0.22Litres
Air Space Vol1.78Litres
Final Pressure4.82Bar.A
Final Pressure3.82Bar.G

So with the 2 litre expansion vessel having a charge of 1.9bar it won't really effect its performance in this case? The ones usually get are silver with a pre-charge of 3.5 bar I believe. The standing pressure of the system is 4 bar. No pressure reducer is currently fitted. I'm adding controls to a little under sink heater that at the moment has a vented tap that is broke. And a replacement is around ÂŁ100. So cheaper to add a 6 bar pressure relief below the sink and expansion. Cold water draw off too close to allow expansion in to the mains

It’s a drip tap so you can’t install expansion vessel as the unit isn’t rated for pressure it’s open vented

what’s broken on the tap ?

It's a little 7 litre unvented cylinder. Its fed of the mains. It makes a racket when used have stripped down and re-grease to no luck. Or no luck till some one turns it too tight again.

That's what's on it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210228_204942_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210228_204942_com.android.chrome.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 11
That’s the thing it’s not unvented it’s gravity / equal pressure

the heater isn’t under pressure it’s always open to atmosphere hence when it’s heating the tap will drip most people try and tighten it down more which just breaks them

That’s the thing it’s not unvented it’s gravity / equal pressure

the heater isn’t under pressure it’s always open to atmosphere hence when it’s heating the tap will drip most people try and tighten it down more which just breaks them
Thats what's happened yes. So a pressure relief and expansion valve under the sink won't work on this heater?

Correct as it’s not designed for pressure always open to atmosphere eg like a vented cylinder

I thought a vented tap was for use with a unvented HW heater and should only leak/drip while the water is heating up and could be used in lieu of a expansion vessel but obviously not.

Last edited:
Correct but it’s not unvented if it’s open to atmosphere all the time

open the tap water going into the heater and comes out of the tap at the same time so no pressure in the heater

Reply to Expansion vessel pre charge in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock