Search the forum,

Discuss Expansion vessel insert, should I remove? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Has anyone installed a Refix potable expansion tank? There's a plastic insert inside the 3/4 threaded connector - should it be left in? I though it maybe to space the diaphragm off the inlet point, but not sure if it's just a protector insert which will stop the tank operating - nothing in instructions?? Anyone had any experience with this type?

Cheers

Post a picture please it's not normal to remove anything internally the only part removable may be a plastic cap to protect the threaded connection and the vessel inside . Kop

If you look closely, you will see holes in the "insert" to allow water to enter the EV but also to stop the rubber bladder from extruding through the "hole" in the end, it is also recommended (unvented cylinder) that the pre pressure is ~ 0.2 bar lower than the cold water pressure after the PRV to ensure that the bladder is never normally in contact with the end to avoid any damage. (the differential pressure also apparently helps to avoid water hammer).

Attachments

• EV Water End.zip
    18.4 KB · Views: 7
Fair play to Refix Winnklemann, they did reply from German office (given current circumstances didn't expect anything TBH). For anyone in the future : Potable tanks are fitted with a plastic insert as the tank is stainless, so no mixture of metals. The insert is to "stir" the inlet water on entry/exits, thus preventing settlement of materials in mains water and also to support the internal diaphragm. Non-potable tanks do not have the plastic insert, but do have a gauze inside the tank to support the diaphragm. However, some Potable vessels may have a bar inside the neck of the spigot connector which does the same job, more likely on old tanks.

Thank you all for your responses.

Reply to Expansion vessel insert, should I remove? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Have an Ariston unvented hot water tank in airing cupboard with the red and white expansion vessels and a filler tap. As advised years ago on these forums when I hear that sound that the central heating water needs topping up I usually wait until cold so the gauge goes to zero and top up to 1...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm currently in Ireland and in a small cottage where the plumbing system has me scratching my head a bit. When the place was done up the builders decided that the tank in the loft was no longer needed and put a tank out back in a small extension where ALL (well, except for the cold...
Replies
Views
Anyone know weather you leave in the plastic insert in the expansion tank threaded connector?
Replies
Views
Hi. It's cold as heck in Austin. Temps dropped to single digits last night in Austin. Last night loss power @ 2AM. This morning around 11:30am, heard a loud explosion coming from outside area where the tankless water heater system is installed. Noticed that the expansion tank exploded. You can...
Replies
Views
I live in Azerbaijan where I have a Wilo MC605-EM pump attached to a Wilo LRS 50/10H diaphragm expansion vessel, which pumps water into my house on demand. We have a large water storage tank sitting between the mains and the pump so there is effectively no water pressure, the pump sucks water...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock