Search the forum,

Discuss Expansion Tank sounds like a foghorn in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

We recently dropped the house water pressure from 70 to 60 psi and increased the pressure in the expansion tank from 40 to 60 psi as I was told that they should be the same. The hot water tank and the expansion tank are 3 months old and there were no issues when the house pressure was at 70 psi. There are no issues when we open up a bathroom or kitchen faucet. However, when we flush the toilet or turn on the shower the expansion tank sounds like a foghorn for a few seconds. If the toilet is flushed 5 minutes later all is quiet. But after 15 minutes the foghorn sounds will return as the pressure in the line has time to build up. I have turned the water off to both toilets and the sound is still there when we turn on the shower. Everything I read online states that the noise could happen when the pressure is to high or if there is a large discrepancy between the house pressure and the pressure in the expansion tank. Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reply to Expansion Tank sounds like a foghorn in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
I just had installed a Navien NPE-2 with built in recirculator pump. I have a dedicated return line. The check valve for the recirc is built into the unit; a spring check valve was placed on the cold line (per the manual) after which there is an expansion tank (on the cold line) in a T junction...
Replies
Views
Rogelio
R
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years old now and was amazing when it was first installed. Around a year ago we had a problem with water dripping from the overflow pipe outside and we ended...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve gauge was going up when the water tank was switched on. My local plumber came and re-pressured the expansion vessel as it was flat, afterwards we tested...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, It may be coincidence but not long after getting oil fired central heating fitted to older ex-council property (fireplace and necessary plumbing torn out/replaced as required) every time toilet is flushed it sounds like a foghorn. Vibrations run through house and can be heard clearly...
Replies
Views
SaintSinner
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock