Search the forum,

Discuss Expansion tank pipes in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, I'm an electrcian who is just trying to grasp some knowledge of heating systems as I've got some S plan jobs coming up.
On older installations what is the pipe used for that runs from the header tank into the flow pipe? Expanding water??
How come this set up is not required on combi boiler installations?
Does an expansion vessel overcome this?
I often see systems with the cold water tank still in place but the heating tank removed, how is this possible?
Sorry for the endless questions!
[automerge]1594239909[/automerge]
Also the cold pipe that runs from the header tank to the return?

Last edited:
With a feed and expansion tank in the roof for heating circuit the minimum 22mm vent is for safety purposes and the cold feed (commonly 15mm) is for filling and expansion.
Combi systems these days are sealed systems without a tank in the roof, a pressure relief valve is the safety device and an expansion vessel takes the place of the header tank and does what its called.
The systems you've seen with heating circuit tank removed are sealed systems but still using open vented hot water system.

With a feed and expansion tank in the roof for heating circuit the minimum 22mm vent is for safety purposes and the cold feed (commonly 15mm) is for filling and expansion.
Combi systems these days are sealed systems without a tank in the roof, a pressure relief valve is the safety device and an expansion vessel takes the place of the header tank and does what its called.
The systems you've seen with heating circuit tank removed are sealed systems but still using open vented hot water system.

Regarding your last sentence. A sealed system (combi), is still using the heating loop (flow and return) for the hot water?
[automerge]1594242922[/automerge]
Regarding your last sentence. A sealed system (combi), is still using the heating loop (flow and return) for the hot water?
Is sealed another way of saying unvented?
Sorry for all the dumb questions 🤣

Last edited:
Sealed is another term for unvented yes.
A combination boiler provides instantaneous hot water through a plate heat exchanger and no hot water cylinder is needed, although a hot water cylinder can be plumbed into a combi system. I hope that answers your question?

Reply to Expansion tank pipes in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock