Search the forum,

Discuss Expansion tank pipes in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, I'm an electrcian who is just trying to grasp some knowledge of heating systems as I've got some S plan jobs coming up.
On older installations what is the pipe used for that runs from the header tank into the flow pipe? Expanding water??
How come this set up is not required on combi boiler installations?
Does an expansion vessel overcome this?
I often see systems with the cold water tank still in place but the heating tank removed, how is this possible?
Sorry for the endless questions!
[automerge]1594239909[/automerge]
Also the cold pipe that runs from the header tank to the return?

Last edited:
With a feed and expansion tank in the roof for heating circuit the minimum 22mm vent is for safety purposes and the cold feed (commonly 15mm) is for filling and expansion.
Combi systems these days are sealed systems without a tank in the roof, a pressure relief valve is the safety device and an expansion vessel takes the place of the header tank and does what its called.
The systems you've seen with heating circuit tank removed are sealed systems but still using open vented hot water system.

With a feed and expansion tank in the roof for heating circuit the minimum 22mm vent is for safety purposes and the cold feed (commonly 15mm) is for filling and expansion.
Combi systems these days are sealed systems without a tank in the roof, a pressure relief valve is the safety device and an expansion vessel takes the place of the header tank and does what its called.
The systems you've seen with heating circuit tank removed are sealed systems but still using open vented hot water system.

Regarding your last sentence. A sealed system (combi), is still using the heating loop (flow and return) for the hot water?
[automerge]1594242922[/automerge]
Regarding your last sentence. A sealed system (combi), is still using the heating loop (flow and return) for the hot water?
Is sealed another way of saying unvented?
Sorry for all the dumb questions 🤣

Last edited:
Sealed is another term for unvented yes.
A combination boiler provides instantaneous hot water through a plate heat exchanger and no hot water cylinder is needed, although a hot water cylinder can be plumbed into a combi system. I hope that answers your question?

Reply to Expansion tank pipes in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

For reasons that I won't go into. Is it possible to control the water flow to a cold water header tank without having a ballcock in the header tank? ie to place some sort of control elsewhere in the feed pipe before the water gets to the header tank - turning off the mains water supply would...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them? They are the pipes that feed water back into the top of the tanks when there is excess, presumably from steam, expansion, etc. The one going to the cold...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in the garage which is fully pumped to the TS, the system has two pumps both basic 3speed Grunfoss, one on the boiler return and the other on the CH flow...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock