Search the forum,

Discuss Ever had Central Heating Water leak INTO Cylinder fresh water ? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
Vented system, F&E Tank etc.
Cylinder about 10-12 years old.

Just running some x800 through to try & improve radiator heat. (another story)
Been in a couple of hours.
Just run a bath & the water has a slightly odd brown'ish tint to it.
never had before. does not smell.
Is there anyway it has leached into the fresh water. I simply cannot imagine but too much of a coincidence!
I know the pipe can get furred up with limescale etc. but surely cannot cause a leak.

I know lots don't like the x800 but as I understand now not that caustic like it use to be.

The only other thought is I have been using the emersion heater a lot so can concentrate all the heat through the rads.
Top of tank has got quite a lot lotter than normal, just wondered if perhaps freed off some limescale or other sediment from the pipes on the fresh water side. again unlikely but think more plausible that the leaking option.

Will double check the main cold water but so far seems clear.

Of course now draining down & will really flush & of course did not bath in it.

Any ideas, any way to check?
Thanks I/A

Easy way to tell drain cylinder and see if f and e tank drops eg heating one

If the heating coil in the cylinder has pinholed the this can cause discoloration as the heating water will mix with your hot water , result being you need a new cylinder ☹️. Kop

If the heating coil in the cylinder has pinholed the this can cause discoloration as the heating water will mix with your hot water , result being you need a new cylinder ☹️. Kop
Is this very likely on a 12 year old cylinder, the previous lasted 23 years & only replaced as new boiler & was sensible to change at the time. I will try as suggested & drain the cylinder.
thanks

It Can happen I'm afraid another tell tail sign is the cold water supply tank will drip constantly and will fill and over flow , usually because the small heating tank is higher up this may take sometime depending on the severity of the damage to the coil. Kop

I’ve just looked at one, 10 years old, the coil had dropped a bit inside and ended up resting on an immersion element. This element was in use daily for some reason and the element had failed and caused a pinhole in the coil - kinda welded together 😢.

Hi,

F&E is highest, not dripping or signs of filling as if the water was dropping due to leaking into the "fresh" water.

I have since put some flourscein dye in & made sure just running round the water tank (not going of to the CH)
Good few hours, then ran a bath, no sign of the dye.

Done a few times since & never seen a hint of that dye & sure if would have leached by now.

It certainly shows up as since opened up the CH, bled any rads & very green water.

Actually flushed a lot through & it was still coming out green.

Is strange as there was a faint browny colour that time. I am thinking it must have been the fact the emersion heater was on & the top tank water got very hot, not think had the emersion on for years but appreciate not the best explanation.

I had a plumber round to discuss my other problems (will post a new thread) and asked if he could check, he said has not got the equipment to test. What equipment! just figured as you guys suggested but thought a "professional" would be better.
Anyway I'm pretty happy with the dye test & no water dropping.

thanks again

Reply to Ever had Central Heating Water leak INTO Cylinder fresh water ? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock