Search the forum,

Discuss even i know it shouldnt be like that in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nifty

Hi all

I asked a question yesterday about putting a timer on my 25 year old boiler, well i brought the timer today, just a basic 1

well i was about to fit it and took the fuse out the wall switch but to my suprise the boiler still works.....someones dodgy wireing i think.

I think its time for me to call an electrician out!

Nifty

a boiler as old as that might have two feeds, 1 to the boiler and 1 to the pump.

Hi Blackcatgas

Im sure its just the 1 feed, i traced the wire and it goes straight to the pump.no other conectons to boiler

In the fuse spur? there are 3 lots of wires going in,,,im more concerned about it working with no fuse. ive lived here for 7 years with no problems and only tonight after seeing that im starting to worry about the boiler/electrics.

all i want really is a timer fitted to it!

Nifty

In your last posts, you said you turned boiler off with this switch ?
you mention control box,hot water /heating selector box in another room,is main isolation near these items ?
Think you are wise to get someone in to take a look

It goes to show that any gas engineer should dead test after removing fuse before sticking fingers in boilers!

Hi Puddle
Yes i turn the boiler of using this switch, this switch is in a cupboard sitting right next to the boiler

The thermostat which is the dial for temp, a switch that switchs between hot water + hot water/central heating is on the living room wall. on the same thermostat there is a switch that says boiler on/off but after having a look inside the wires are not conected!!

which is why we have to use the switch on the wall in the boiler cupboard as the main isolation
Ive not know any other way of putting the boiler on in the last 7 years so this has been normal to me.

Nifty

Last edited by a moderator:
:D If youve traced the wire and it goes straight to the pump, no other connections to the boiler then that is the feed to the pump!, there must be another feed to the boiler maybe the wires plasterd close into the wall behind the boiler, the boiler will still work without the pump (not for very long before it over heats and cuts out!) Fair play to you for getting a sparky, I dont do any electrics myself save for the odd pump replacement etc, Ive had a couple of belts one recently where a leak was dripping off the boiler casing into the pcb, it scares the crap out of you!.

Hi Blackcatgas
I actually think they have wired both into the same UNfused switch.

I opened up the switch and there are 3 sets of wires going in, 1 set of these i can trace to the boiler and the other 2 disapear in the wall, which i presume go to a light switch or plug socket ect

Regards
Nifty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to even i know it shouldnt be like that in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
L
Hey everyone, I'll keep it short. Had our old system boiler replaced with a new Ideal system boiler set up. Then the problems began. First issue was the pump went faulty, so the pump was replaced. This then led to a new issue coming up where the central heating would work, but not the hot...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock