Search the forum,

Discuss Evacuated Tubes work with A2W ? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Hopefully this is in the right section. (Admin feel free to move if necessary).

I have a new build nearing completion. I went with a 7Kw split Ecodan system.

The house is extremely well insulated and air-tight.

If it wasnt for hot water for showers etc, we would expect the unit to be off 6 to 7 months of the year.

With the cost of electricity and PV solar having to come a ways further to break 20% efficiency, i’m holding out paying €15K on PV / Battery just yet as the only thing bringing down the ROI presently is the artificial hyper-inflation of energy production.

So…… what i was thinking of doing is having an evacuated tube array installed and combine this into the ecodan tank ?

My thought is this would prevent having an A2W unit running just for shower water.

Is this possible?

I would rather not have a complicated setup with 2 tanks etc, but if the tubes could heat the water and send into the reservoir tank of the Ecodan unit, that would be ideal.

I have no clue if this is possible, appreciate any guidance or advice.

Thanks
Tom

What size pv could you have ?

What size pv could you have ?

No PV installed but would be a 7Kw array with battery storage is what is being recommended.

Currently, 7Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan A2W unit only
Want to combine Evacuated tubes to heat water and send into Ecodan reservoir to prevent having an A2W unit running just for showers etc.

Be around 2600kwh a year then real world tbh I would suggest using the pv to heat via the immersion better system long run in my opinion

In the uk tubes arnt the best

Be around 2600kwh a year then real world tbh I would suggest using the pv to heat via the immersion better system long run in my opinion

In the uk tubes arnt the best

Thanks for that input Shaun,

Could i ask you though, could an evacuated tube array feed hot water into the reservoir tank of the Ecodan split unit or be combined with it in a cost efficient way for showers/sinks etc?

Dimplex tubes are fantastic here in the west of Ireland. Multiple installs looked at over the years that were installed as part of a grant scheme for warmer houses and the volume of hot water is exceptional.

They would feed into your hot water cylinder or a thermal battery if you had one fitted

They would feed into your hot water cylinder or a thermal battery if you had one fitted

Currently no hot cylinder, only this Ecodan unit.

Ecodan split unit has a 170liter hot water cylinder in it.

It had the provisions to take an input from PV to heat an additional coil.

My question is, could i use this tank and have the evacuated tube array feed this?

Hopefully i’m not driving you nuts Shaun 🙂

Attachments

• 2BADE5F2-C12B-4E6C-9693-DA5884BFE188.jpeg
    2BADE5F2-C12B-4E6C-9693-DA5884BFE188.jpeg
    349.9 KB · Views: 2
You would need to get rid of that and install a heat pump compliant cylinder which you could feed into with your tubes

Reply to Evacuated Tubes work with A2W ? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock