Search the forum,

Discuss Entering the line of work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mags5157

I'm currently leaving the Army and I'm looking to go into plumbing and gas. I've been looking around at the best way to enter the field. I understand there's all these accelerated courses but are they genuine and worth going on? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forums, general view is almost impossible to get employment without on site experience and going SE is risky for the same reason.

An apprenticeship could be the answer, gives you the chance to learn while you work. Although you wont earn very much in the first year.

they will give you the paperwork needed but still need some on site with a firm person whoever to complete the coarse. also you must be prepared for rubbish money (apprentice type wage). reason those course's have a bad name is folk go on then realize there not on a good wage then set up on their own with little experience and cause havoc. welcome btw and good luck. best advice is get in with a small company as just a pair of hands then try and get qualified.

Lots of posts on here explaining why these courses are run for the providers benefit and lead to disappointment and high costs for those who go on them.If you are set on plumbing and heating you need to have a way of gaining experience and ideally someone who will put you through an apprenticeship.There is a wider range of skills in this job than some others and it is not an easy trade to get into_On another similar thread forum members were suggesting alternatives such as plastering and tiling as there was a skill shortage in these trades.Best of luck.Do not waste your resettlement grant.One thing in your favour is that there are people who still put a value on service to your country and will give you a hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Entering the line of work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH. I've got quite good at it over the years being able to recognise the manifold brand and generation by just looking at it but then I have to go through...
Replies
Views
Hello. I am planning to build a small half bath in my garage, next to a washing machine, using old showers plumbing. There was a stand-alone shower in the garage which has been removed. Unfortunately the pipes are only 1.5" on that side of the house since there's no bathroom and the house is...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing with it as a matter of course. If I'm wrong can someone let me know and I'll shift it to a better place.] I have a condensing boiler installation...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to find matt black wall or deck mounted bath mixer taps with 3/4 fitting that work on 0.2 bar. From tank to tap, I have around 2.4 metres, so a pressure of a little over 0.2 bar. The flow measured from the tap currently fitted is 11 litres per minute. Pretty much...
Replies
Views
Please can anyone let me know if the NTC thermostats are on the correct way around?? I did have problems with the return pipe heating up before the flow so I'm thinking the last plumber may have swapped them around somehow. Havin now reconfigure the central heating i've plumbed in all the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock