Search the forum,

Discuss Ensuite shower renovation tips in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,
Shower was installed 3 years ago when I bought this place. A combination of below average workmanship and poor tiles (didn't get same batch numbers) has left me disappointed with the ensuite.

Ideally, I'd get it re-tiled, but I fear this will be very expensive, and possibly mean I'd have to buy new shower bits (?)

What I'm thinking is removing the grout, and painting over the tiles. Should really improve it. A few questions:

- is it possible to remove grout without breaking tiles? A plumber told me he wouldn't touch the job
-if so, best tools to do it for a novice DIYer?
-what is best paint to use? Any tips?
-should I paint over new gout, or would grout in a different colour, e.g. white or dark grey (to contrast light grey tiles) be best?
-any other advice, important things I should know before getting myself into this?

Thank you all, appreciate your help.
Martin.

Attachments

• 20210724_064853_compress27.jpg
    20210724_064853_compress27.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210724_064833_compress32.jpg
    20210724_064833_compress32.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210724_064824_compress1.jpg
    20210724_064824_compress1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 6
If below average workmanship, do take care as you may find tiles not fully supported and will snap as soon as you put any pressure on them. New tiles not necessarily massively expensive, but the labour cost and adhesive/grout may be. I've seen a lot worse than your current tiling, so be aware the standards you have might not be met by painting the tiles.

I have fitted very cheap white tiles with a dark grout and the effect was stunning. Use something decent like the Mapei powdered grouts if you are re-grouting - not the tub versions - for the best result possible.

I have seen grout removed with a very fine grinding disc. Not sure if that's the best way, though.

If you are going to paint tiles, and the grout lines, read the instructions of whatever you are using carefully and make sure it is suited for use in a shower enclosure. I think you need to abrade the tiles to get the paint to stick. Bear in mind that painted tiles will require maintenance and that you may be creating a rod for your own back.

If below average workmanship, do take care as you may find tiles not fully supported and will snap as soon as you put any pressure on them. New tiles not necessarily massively expensive, but the labour cost and adhesive/grout may be. I've seen a lot worse than your current tiling, so be aware the standards you have might not be met by painting the tiles.

I have fitted very cheap white tiles with a dark grout and the effect was stunning. Use something decent like the Mapei powdered grouts if you are re-grouting - not the tub versions - for the best result possible.

I have seen grout removed with a very fine grinding disc. Not sure if that's the best way, though.

If you are going to paint tiles, and the grout lines, read the instructions of whatever you are using carefully and make sure it is suited for use in a shower enclosure. I think you need to abrade the tiles to get the paint to stick. Bear in mind that painted tiles will require maintenance and that you may be creating a rod for your own back.
Thank you, very helpful.
So if I wanted to just remove all grout and regrout with a darker powder, what way would you recommend? What tools etc?
Thanks,
Martin.

- is it possible to remove grout without breaking tiles? A plumber told me he wouldn't touch the job
-if so, best tools to do it for a novice DIYer?
-what is best paint to use? Any tips?
-should I paint over new gout, or would grout in a different colour, e.g. white or dark grey (to contrast light grey tiles) be best?
-any other advice, important things I should know before getting myself into this?
1. If you remove enough grout you'll eventually break a tile and then be in trouble. Listen to your plumber.
2. Imo never paint tiles.
3. I'd live with it until ready to replace the lot.

At some point you will damage the tiles. Theres hand tools to do the job and then attachments for multi tools.
Have done it a couple of times, will never do it again.
Dont paint tiles full stop.

Reply to Ensuite shower renovation tips in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock