Search the forum,

Discuss Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for houses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I recently had an EPC undertaken for a house I rent out. After the survey was done and a certificate had been issued I notice that the surveyor had recommend that thermostatic radiator valves be fitted to ALL radiators. I pointed out that with a combi boiler a percentage of radiator / emitor should not be thermostatically controlled from a valve. I even scanned the paragraph in the Baxi installation manual and sent it to the surveyor. This brings me to the following point, if someone was to fit further thermostatic vales to a such system on the recommendation of the surveyor and there was an incident, who would be liable?
Its worrying when these people are doing surveys and have a piece of paper that says they are qualified and do not understand such systems.
Any views welcome.

I had an epc done last year , they are useless and are years out of date , the guy who did mine didnt even know what the WC sensor did, I had to tell him and also explain how my solar thermal worked , he nearly marked me down because I didnt have a room stat .

I rent the house out through an agent, and they organised the survey . I would have expected a proforma questionnaire from the surveyor asking about things they could not see, like cavity wall insulation and under floor insulation. As a result of them not asking they missed the cavity wall insulation as it was installed from the inside the house before a skim of plaster was given, and under floor insulation was installed in the kitchen extension. On top of all that they want me to pay £7 to have the certificate updated.

This brings me to the following point, if someone was to fit further thermostatic valves to a such system on the recommendation of the surveyor and there was an incident, who would be liable?

The person fitting the valves.

And I'd be arguing the EPC is not fit for purpose, so no additional charges should be brought due to the failings of the person carrying out the Assessment.

People carrying out EPC Assessments do not have to hold any Trade qualificaton or understand the workings of systems.
It's a tick sheet exercise.
For example £875 and 3 days gets you this;

Last edited:
I read earlier on this year that there are plans to revamp the cpc’s
When the guy did mine he did say he could only enter the details into the software he was given , however you would think he could enter a weather comp sensor , they ain’t exactly new .

The person fitting the valves.

And I'd be arguing the EPC is not fit for purpose, so no additional charges should be brought due to the failings of the person carrying out the Assessment.

People carrying out EPC Assessments do not have to hold any Trade qualificaton or understand the workings of systems.
It's a tick sheet exercise.
For example £875 and 3 days gets you this;

What "incident" is going to occur, solely due to not having 1 rad without a TRV?

Reply to Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for houses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock