Search the forum,

Discuss Elson Sapphire - Drain Down and Refill Procedure in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have an Elson Sapphire double feed indirect hot water tank and I need to drain down the system to move some radiators.

Would anyone be able to offer any advice as to the correct drain down and refill procedure for this tank?

It is a self contained boxed and insulated unit with a single cold feed cistern for the secondary Domestic Hot Water side, the primary indirect Central Heating feed and expansion tank seems to be internal to the boxed unit and isn't accessible.

From the schematic it looks like it has an internal vessel connected to the indirect coil which I am guessing deals with the Feed and Expansion.

The pipework connections for the tank are cold water feed to cistern, vent pipe from cistern, primary flow to indirect coil, primary return from indirect coil and domestic hot water draw off.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• Elson Sapphire.pdf
    465.6 KB · Views: 4
Just turn off feed to tank service valve if there is one or just tie up ballvalve.
Drain down as normal, you will have no hot water. If you're going to be a few days you could cap flow and return under tank. Reconnect when finished.
Under no circumstances use valves on flow and return!
Should fill up OK though they are know to airlock.

Just turn off feed to tank service valve if there is one or just tie up ballvalve.
Drain down as normal, you will have no hot water. If you're going to be a few days you could cap flow and return under tank. Reconnect when finished.
Under no circumstances use valves on flow and return!
Should fill up OK though they are know to airlock.
Thanks for the reply, I followed your advice and it went soothly, filled up slowly then bled the gravity radiator and all the pumped radiators and balanced them up.

I don't fully understand how the F&E works though, from the schematic it looks like a vessel with a cone inside is connected to the indirect coil within the tank unit itself, could this be similar to a SPARTAN vessel? and do I need to be concerned about the formation of an air bubble?

Thanks.

Reply to Elson Sapphire - Drain Down and Refill Procedure in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a fairly modern multifuel stove with a back boiler connected to a Elson Sapphire double feed indirect hot water tank and I need to drain down the system to move a radiator. Would anyone be able to offer any advice as to the correct drain down and refill procedure for this tank as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank. I'm on well water and have a water softener and two whole house filters for my water. Three days ago I found my high pressure relief valve tripped...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am reinstating an indirect hot water tank and have 2 cold water feeds coming into it from the same supply. One of the feeds has a float valve but what ever was on the other has been removed. Why would there be 2 feeds to the top of the tank? Can I blank one off and just use the float valve...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock