Search the forum,

Discuss Electrician DIY plumbing in own house, advice needed in the Canada area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys, before anyone jumps to tell me “get a plumber”, I’m extending my house and doing a loft conversion myself, so looking to save money, that’s my only reason for not getting a plumber. I see mixed opinions on whether to go plastic or copper, I’m happy to learn how to join copper, but at the same time plastic is much faster and cheaper I’m guessing.

if anyone could give advice on pipe sizing and best routing for CH that’d be great, it’ll be a combi at far length of house with 6 rads (I know it’s dependant on BTU demands for rooms size/window size), house is all solid walls so I may pipe sleeve them or some sort of horse hair insulation etc.

basically any advice is welcome, thanks

22mm the main flow and return with short lengths of 15mm to the radiators. Could do the lot in plastic. Just need 1m from the boiler to be copper.

Hiya, plastic v copper an often asked question. Copper MUST be used near the boiler
plastic can be good for long runs but looks untidy when exposed and can turn yellow in time. So copper for upstands to radiators for strenght and appearance. Run the main flow and return in 22mm pipe and t off in 15 mm for the rads...no more than two on 15mm. Its quite neat to hide pipes in electrical trunking with capping and behind the hinge side of an opening door. Allow drain offs on all drops and fit a magnetic and none magnetic filter on the return to the boiler. anything else ask away centralheatking

is it worth using foil Rockwool insulation, it’s expensive but is it really much different for your standard lagging, in the situation of house plumbing.

also DHW 15mm throughout? There’s no bath.

Mains water size? Same as what’s coming in?

Reply to Electrician DIY plumbing in own house, advice needed in the Canada area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock