Search the forum,

Discuss Electrical connection for Worcester Greenstar 25Si/30Si in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amezcua

When my plumber (2 days ago ) asked me if it was alright to use a ----switched plug -----in the next bedroom for the Greenstar ( which is in the bathroom at the end of the bath ) I said --"Yes ok " as it was a spare plug not used much. I read now in the fitters instructions that ;

"The Mains electrical supply to the boiler must be through either a fused double pole isolator --or --a fused 3 pin plug and ------Unswitched Socket.
Also ;
"The isolator shall be situated --------next to the boiler for new systems."
( That`s not next to the boiler then , and it`s got a switch on it )

I`ve fitted this type of pull cord switch in six different houses when I rewired them. This job was the plumber`s to sort. Am I supposed to know what central heating is all about too? I`ve never had C/H before. I was puzzling about --DHW. What the ell`s that? Just the stupid hot water.

When I went to isolate the Electrics to fit a blanking plate the plumber pulled the socket plate away and dowmwards before I had switched it off and then said the earth was loose because it made a big spark. It`s been working safely for 25 years and there was no trace of overheating. That`s just background info to give you an idea. Rule one .Switch off first. I used to a Panel Wireman. It`s not Rocket Science. (Had to get that one in.)

I don't know exactly what you are asking here.
If the plumber "wired" the boiler to a nearby adjacent socket then he isn't registered for electrics (part P) as he would have needed to do a minor wrks cert to connect to anything else. Yes worcester like a FCU next to the boiler to save legwork for the hard of thinking engineers. This may sound like a good thing but in reality, because they are trying to comply with worcesters wishes, this in practice leads to unsafe conditions where heating systems have more than one supply. Never assume anything when working with heating electrics! I believe worcester and others should be MADE to remove this stupid stipulation from their manuals.
Did you pay him for this or take the work based on price? You get what you pay for at the end of the day.
Pull cord switches should never be used for heating so that bit is irrelevant whatever you were on about.
A panel wireman??? never heard of it but it is certainly unnecessary for a combi with a LNE supply.

Thankyou Tamz . Excellent answer. The supply wire has a plug and just fits in a spare switched socket. It looked a bit odd emerging through the floorboard and running to the socket. It was all paid for in the installation. The pull cord mention was thinking of switches in bathrooms for electric showers. A Panel Wireman does all the wiring behind a control panel. (Lights dials and switches and miles of wire ) .The best one I did was to control jet engines pumping North Sea gas ashore. That`s what they told me anyway. Maybe they were pulling my leg. They said the engines were the same as Concorde`s. Fairy tales? Could be. ---- Thanks .

A Panel Wireman does all the wiring behind a control panel. (Lights dials and switches and miles of wire ) .The best one I did was to control jet engines pumping North Sea gas ashore. That`s what they told me anyway. Maybe they were pulling my leg. They said the engines were the same as Concorde`s. Fairy tales? Could be. ---- Thanks .

Ah. You used to be a panel wireman. One of the guys wiring the big control panels. I was having a thicko moment and couldn't think what you were on about :lol:
Just put yourself a spur in near the boiler.

you cant have a spur near the boiler if it contravines the electrical regs (zones in bathrooms). If the boiler is situated inside a cupboard then it may be ok. you could fit the spur outside the bathroom and lable the boiler stating the position of the isolation device.

So a switch just outside the bathroom where it can be seen would be preferable to using a socket in the bedroom down low behind a cupboard.And a nice red light to go with it. That sounds better. Thanks a lot gentlemen .

My wife was still not satisfied with the bonding so we had it checked by the Electical Inspectors. Everything was up to standard. The main point is about the ****safety of cross bonding****. Read the wikipedia page where it says that any bonding omitted in such a room as a bathroom is a Serious Electrical Fault. The interesting part is that if some bonding is left out then an accidentally live object at 250 volts being touched with one hand and then touching a well earthed object will kill you. If the bonding is in place then the second object touched is also at 250 volts you will Not Die. Because the voltage difference between them is zero. It`s a life or death situation. One good Earth and one Live object equals death. Funny that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes , the wikipedia makes a very important point. If the short plastic pipes from the boiler are isolating the rest of the copper copper pipes round the house a live contact from a wire or anything in another room can create the dangerous situation in the bathroom.
Anyway I learned something with the new central heating.
Also relevant to bonding ---the Pressfit Copper Elbows with the stainless steel teeth and flexible seals are not sufficient for cross bonding. That was written on the packet. Beware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always carry some earth bonding straps and a decent amount of 6mm2 in the van... If you're not sure, cross bond it - Very unlikely to make a situation worse, very likely to make it safe.

It would be an interesting clue in a murder mystery. Death by a loose screw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Electrical connection for Worcester Greenstar 25Si/30Si in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. was wondering if anyone knew why my hot water is not working on Worcester Greenstar 25Si . sequence of events: I removed a radiator for decorating , shutting of valves etc then repressurised the boiler back up to 1.5. All seemed to be working . I turned off water overnight. Next day I...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
I am a retired gas engineer. Corgi and Domestic Electrics + Building Surveyor. I have a Greenstar CDI 35kw that I fitted in my own home 15 years ago, serviced regularly, no issues till now. Suddenly its losing full pressure in approx 2 hours. I have concrete floors with buried copper pipe but...
Replies
Views
    • Agree
Hi all, We've bought a property that has a Worcester Greenstar 37CDi boiler installed, with an old British Gas RS2 Thermostat linked to it. I'm not clued up on boilers in any way, though I'm quite handy with mechanics and always like to learn how things work. The problem: The internal Bosch...
Replies
Views
Philip B
P
S
Hi, I have some knowledge of plumbing and heating and have installed several in my time. I have a new Worcester Bosch Greenstar 40CDi Classic Regular Gas Boiler (Gravity Fed System) new boiler and it was installed by a British Gas engineer recently, as I wanted a Gas Safe certificate with this...
Replies
Views
Hi I have an oil worcester bosch greenstar heatslave ii combi boiler. It's about 5 years old. The problem I have is when the thermostat calls for the central heating to come on. Most of the time the boiler light will come on, the boiler might fire up for a couple of seconds then the light will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock