Search the forum,

Discuss Electric Unvented vs Thermal Store/Vented Cylinder with Small Stove in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

We currently have a traditional hot water cylinder with an immersion and connection to a multi-fuel stove with a 10k BTU (3KW?) boiler. The DHW is provided by the immersion over the summer and the stove over the winter. We've got a bath and 2 electric showers, and (honestly) no heating in the house other than the stove, and we don't intend to install CH any time soon. The problem is there's never enough hot water to fill the bath, and due to the uncontrollable stove input the hot water is often closer to steam....

The plan was to improve the hot water temperature and flow (mains cold pressure is very good) and replace one of the showers with a thermostatic mixer. The options seem to be an electric unvented with 2 x immersions and lose the boiler from the stove (it can be removed and room heating output improved), or a smallish thermal store with one immersion and keep the boiler input.

Any experience from the coal face would be appreciated, or any alternative suggestions.

Cheers,

Rich

tbh i would go with a thermal store

but anyone working on the system should be hetas registered

Thanks for the responses so far. A thermal store was initially my first choice, but as the stove input is pretty small and thermal stores are a few hundred quid more expensive than the equivalent unvented, is the only real benefit of the thermal store not needing a G3 plumber and annual servicing?

Cheers!

Thanks for the responses so far. A thermal store was initially my first choice, but as the stove input is pretty small and thermal stores are a few hundred quid more expensive than the equivalent unvented, is the only real benefit of the thermal store not needing a G3 plumber and annual servicing?

Cheers!

Basically yes , although they are not expensive to service , to fit one apart from your onsite pressure and flow being adequate your main problem is running the discharge pipe which obviously depends on cylinder location etc etc

Reply to Electric Unvented vs Thermal Store/Vented Cylinder with Small Stove in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Background 24 apartments are equipped with thermal stores of (100 to 150 litres) with immersion heater capability. Individual demand of each apartment for domestic hot water varies greatly in timing and volume. Thus the oil boiler is required to work for long periods which is uneconomical...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am getting my old hot water cylinder tank replaced (my property has no boiler as it is a full electric property). My plumber suggested changing to a thermal store. He is a competent plumber but are there any certificates that I need to ask for, is this notifiable work and would you...
Replies
Views
I have been told that I can't have a mains pressure unvented hot water cylinder with a back boiler on a wood burning stove as the heat source is uncontrollable. Is there a method to make the heat source controllable? I was imagining that if the cylinder was at its maximum temperature then if...
Replies
Views
Can anyone help, please? I'm looking for a heating system circulation pump for a domestic install, with 3 speeds, where the speed can be toggled electrically as well as via a push switch on the pump body. I'm using this pump with a wood boiler stove, where I want to run the pump at its slowest...
Replies
Views
S
Hi All I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from the shower but it seemed no different from the original combi boiler hot feed. There is (unusually) a lever that lets me select the combi or the...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock