Search the forum,

Discuss Electric underfloor heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SteveWannadoGas

Hi folks, an underfloor heating question.....

I have a bare concrete floor in the hall way. Can I simply lay flat electric cable heating on this then put floor tiles on top? I`ve been inspired seeing some ornate tiling inside a front door, but want to put cable heating underneath this. Will I lose a lot of heat into the screed? Is there an approved way to do this?

Thanks for any advice!

Loose a lot of it into the uninsulated screed

Use 10mm insulation boards, fas end down with powder tile adhesive. Prime the boards, then tile. This gives a food substrate to tile onto and insulates the ufh from heating the sub floor.

Thankyou gentlemen! Very helpful. Its just the floor is obviously all laid, its the original concrete and I cant start digging it up so I`m just considering my options. I suspected I`d lose a lot into the screed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you read my post??
This all goes on top of your existing floor

yes ty Chalked I did. Yes I understand. I didnt want to be raising the floor level (with insulation boards) because I dont want steps between the hallway, kitchen, living room. I wanted a level floor across the downstairs, to allow a smooth, neat transition between rooms.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone,

Steve, we do 6mm XPS polystyrene boards which can be installed by using 1-2 mm flexible tile adhesive. Heating mat goes on top.
I totally understand you don't want to have a little step but if you use the insulation boards we know the UFH will work and will be more efficient and cheaper to run.
It's a much better soltuon rather than using higher wattage of heating mats or cables on top of concrete.
If you can't go for insulation boards you can use a Thermal Primer and 200W/m2 mats but it will cost you more to run.
I've got 6mm insulation board on top of uninsulated concrete with 200W/m2 mat on it and it works perfectly and doesn't cost a lot to run.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Electric underfloor heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock