Search the forum,

Discuss Electric Under floor heating - anyone use it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

theanalyst

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I've got a job coming up where the custard wants electric heat mat installing and then the floor is being tiled over with porcelain floor tiles. Just wondering if anyone's got any advice / warning / etc that will give me a heads up before I order the stuff.

I've fitted some before in a bathroom and it was a doddle, but the floor was ceramic tiles, not thick porcelain.
Do I need to order the most manly heatmat? Im guessing it will need its own breaker on the consumer unit and a fused spur for the actual supply.

thanks

All depends on the size. Most of my jobs get a fused spur off the ring main.
Buy the system you require and a thermostat. Leave the final wiring to a sparky.
Really you should use insulation boards, then teh UFH then cover this with suitable self levelling compound. Then you can tile.
When you say Thick Porcelain , how thick ?
Try here for UFH Electric Underfloor Heating | Warm Water | Under Floor Insulation | Frost Protection | Uheat or there is a guy on Ebay selling some stuff I have used

All depends on the size. Most of my jobs get a fused spur off the ring main.
Buy the system you require and a thermostat. Leave the final wiring to a sparky.
Really you should use insulation boards, then teh UFH then cover this with suitable self levelling compound. Then you can tile.
When you say Thick Porcelain , how thick ?
Try here for UFH Electric Underfloor Heating | Warm Water | Under Floor Insulation | Frost Protection | Uheat or there is a guy on Ebay selling some stuff I have used

Thanks mate.
I am a qualified sparky!! 2391 inspection and test although I'm not as quick as a full time sparky, I can do work and certify it if needed. But for the daddy spec heat mat it will need its own breaker, and a fused spur to isolate the system locally. That bit I dont have a problem with.

Insulation boards on a concrete floor?
I was going to level the concrete floor, then lay the heat mat and thermostat probe thingy, then adhesive and tile on top. Just wondering if with about 10mm of floor tile adhesive and 10mm thickness of porcelain tile... is it going to do the job?

It's not a primary heat source (theres a small rad in there) but it would be a pricey exercise if it didn't get the floor warm lol!!

Get it on a timer as well, they eat the electric. Nice under foot though when you step out the bath/shower, that is if the cust doesn't just cover it over with a bath mat.

Get it on a timer as well, they eat the electric. Nice under foot though when you step out the bath/shower, that is if the cust doesn't just cover it over with a bath mat.

cheers mate.
Thats the grey area!! its under their 20sq metre kitchen floor that they want it!
But who are we to argue? If they are paying, I will fit it!! Cant see it being any different from a bathroom floor, except my concern being that I have never laid it on to concrete floor before...

Just wondering if with about 10mm of floor tile adhesive and 10mm thickness of porcelain tile... is it going to do the job? ... it would be a pricey exercise if it didn't get the floor warm lol!!

I've got that problem in my kitchen - natural slate floors, so the adhesive had to be laid pretty thick to level it, and 8-10mm thickness of slates - need to keep the stat up to maximum 40C to get any warmth through, and it mullers the electricity. I never turn it on now - going to take the floor up in the summer and put down wet UFH..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Electric Under floor heating - anyone use it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock