Search the forum,

Discuss Electric to Mixer Shower in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

I currently have an electric shower fitted which gets extremly hot and is forever burning out the fuse switch outside the bathroom which I reguarly need to replace. That combined with fact that the pressure is OK but as we would like a good powerful shower, we are considering a mixer shower?

Is this the right route or could we stick with an electric shower but install a pump?

How simple would it be to install a mixer shower? Am I right in thinking all we need is a hot water supply to the shower location and that is us? Then there be no need for a fuse switch or electricity and the power would also be better or would even with a mixer would we still require a pump as well?

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated!! Also be good to see some of your set ups if you have photos or drawings of previous jobs!

If the shower is "forever burning out the fuse switch" then it was incompetently installed in the first place and needs to be checked and sorted out by a qualified electrician. It's only a matter of time until your present arrangement burns your house down or electrocutes someone.

If the shower is "forever burning out the fuse switch" then it was incompetently installed in the first place and needs to be checked and sorted out by a qualified electrician. It's only a matter of time until your present arrangement burns your house down or electrocutes someone.

This is fitted with a 45A Switch, this is what will burn out eventually. Not straight away but over time. I've always thoguht it was just the switches which were poor quality. This part always goes before the MCB on the board goes as you'd expect. The Shower is a 10.5KW electric shower so I have no idea why it would burn this out.

A 10.5kw electric shower is capable of tripping a 45 amp breaker. Current equals power divided by volts. 10,500 / 230 is over 45 amp

This is fitted with a 45A Switch, this is what will burn out eventually. Not straight away but over time. I've always thoguht it was just the switches which were poor quality. This part always goes before the MCB on the board goes as you'd expect. The Shower is a 10.5KW electric shower so I have no idea why it would burn this out.
IMO, the switch is under-rated for a 10.5kW (44A @ 240V) shower. My guess is that the cable will be underated as well, should be at least 10mm. Showers need to be protected by an RCD or RCBO not an MCB. Wiring impedance ("Z" values) and earthing integrity need to be checked by an electrician using the proper kit.

@Murdoch - this is your domain, have I missed anything or got it wrong?

Lots of 45A switches are pants. You really need a 50A

and yes to the above RCD protection and main earth and bonding need to be up to scratch

I like Hager products, e.g.:

but you should really get an electrician to check the installation, particularly the sizing of the cable and the earthing and bonding.
OK thanks I will.

My issue was I already had a switch on outsdie wall so would like keep that rather than a pull down cord if that was possible, anyone know?

Can I also ask about the set up? I have a combi boiler with only cold water supply to my electric shower. As I'd like a more powerful shower, can a pump be fitted and/or am I better fitting a mixer? What's my options? Any advice?

Reply to Electric to Mixer Shower in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock