Search the forum,

Discuss Electric showers and water pressure in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, could someone give me advice on a problem I have with my shower?

I’m close to replacing the shower engine but not sure if pressure could be the problem.

In our en suite, the shower starts but very very hot then proceeds to a kettle noise and stop. After a few seconds it does the same. On a cold setting, it starts cold then hot then kettle noise and stop, then repeats every few seconds.

With power isolated, I removed the shower cover and manually pressed the lever to release water - the cold water pressure seems fine, it didn’t seem low. This lead me to it being the shower engine.

There’s another part to this. We’ve been using the shower in the bathroom while this one is out of order. It has a low pressure LED. Recently the LED has been coming on, not every time we use it but it does come on 1 in 3 times we use it, just for a few seconds (of cold water) then back to normal.
So my questions are, do you think we should look at pressures before replacing the shower which has completely stopped working? Is there any reason why our water pressure would drop when no plumbing changes have happened in the house? Is there an easy way to check pressure? Has anyone had similar with the shower which doesn’t work at all? It looks easy to replace the inner mech/engine but it’s £100 and I don’t want to waste £100 if the plumbing is the issue / would make no difference. Also, the isolator tap for the showers won’t budge - any tips on freeing it up - at present I can’t check opening/ closing the isolator tap until I can free it up.

Hello Ewan,

First I’d be checking to make sure that the hoses and/or heads aren’t twisted/blocked. Remove the hoses from the outlet and test.

Hello, could someone give me advice on a problem I have with my shower?

I’m close to replacing the shower engine but not sure if pressure could be the problem.

In our en suite, the shower starts but very very hot then proceeds to a kettle noise and stop. After a few seconds it does the same. On a cold setting, it starts cold then hot then kettle noise and stop, then repeats every few seconds.

With power isolated, I removed the shower cover and manually pressed the lever to release water - the cold water pressure seems fine, it didn’t seem low. This lead me to it being the shower engine.

There’s another part to this. We’ve been using the shower in the bathroom while this one is out of order. It has a low pressure LED. Recently the LED has been coming on, not every time we use it but it does come on 1 in 3 times we use it, just for a few seconds (of cold water) then back to normal.
So my questions are, do you think we should look at pressures before replacing the shower which has completely stopped working? Is there any reason why our water pressure would drop when no plumbing changes have happened in the house? Is there an easy way to check pressure? Has anyone had similar with the shower which doesn’t work at all? It looks easy to replace the inner mech/engine but it’s £100 and I don’t want to waste £100 if the plumbing is the issue / would make no difference. Also, the isolator tap for the showers won’t budge - any tips on freeing it up - at present I can’t check opening/ closing the isolator tap until I can free it up.
Need some pictures please 😊 kop

New heat engine needed in my opinion ?? not much you can do internally to solve this ,the shower is short cycling hot to cold activating the thermal cut out once the temperature gets to hot in the heat tank , this can be caused by a restriction of water flow through the unit either by a blocked inlet filter into the shower , scale or debris in the heat tank or maybe a restricted stopcock may be worth changing that for a full bore lever valve, it does seem a rather feeble spray pattern to be honest try removing the shower head flush the unit through on fully cold for 2 minutes then adjust to hot and run it with the head off does it still fail ?? If it does replace the heat engine . Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200629-071032_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200629-071032_Chrome.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20200629-070319_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200629-070319_Chrome.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Reply to Electric showers and water pressure in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock