Search the forum,

Discuss Electric shower circuit breaker query in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi I have a thermostat shower which replaced the previous electric shower. I was checking my fuse box in the cupboard and the electric shower circuit breaker is down (off), does that mean it is safely turned off.
Just wanted clarity that if a circuit breaker is in the down position that means whatever it is connected to is safely switched off.
Any information or advise would be really appreciated thank you.

normally means its off / tripped but you want to check its actually off by using at multi meter at the appliance with any idolators in the on position eg safe isolation

It will say on the front of the circuit breaker, depending on the make it may say “off” on the switch, or green on the switch indicates off, or “O” and “I” indicates off or on.
Example in the attached pic 😎
BUT... maybe your consumer unit is marked up wrong or some dodgy sparky has connected it up wrong, best bet is to get it checked and tested and made safe by a competent person.

Best of luck

Attachments

• A2DC765E-5AD8-47B1-9A12-DBB0CCFA4DBA.jpeg
    A2DC765E-5AD8-47B1-9A12-DBB0CCFA4DBA.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 2
Hi I have a thermostat shower which replaced the previous electric shower. I was checking my fuse box in the cupboard and the electric shower circuit breaker is down (off), does that mean it is safely turned off.
Just wanted clarity that if a circuit breaker is in the down position that means whatever it is connected to is safely switched off.
Use a meter as Shaun says. I like to also actually see the power go from on to off at the appliance terminals. Ideally lock off the MCB (need to buy a lock). At least label it. Also consider are you working on your own or could others accidentally get involved. The neutral won't be switched, so check no volts on there. Make sure first your meter is correctly rated and set to correct range. Don't rush any of your checks. Use insulated shaft screwdrivers.

Get an electrician unless you are fully confident.

Cheers,

Roy

I was checking my fuse box in the cupboard and the electric shower circuit breaker is down (off), does that mean it is safely turned off.
No. Isolation needs to be confirmed by testing by a competent person. Even then, it wouldn't be 'safe' unless the breaker is lockable, which is not likely to be the case in a domestic installation. If isolation is needed the feed should be disconnected, terminated and labelled, again by a competent person.

Thank you, the switch is at the off position. It isn't sealed off but the guy who installed the shower said it had been isolated. I think I will get a professional to come, seal it and labelled as I thought it might be okay should I want an electric shower installed in the bathroom again.

Use a meter as Shaun says. I like to also actually see the power go from on to off at the appliance terminals. Ideally lock off the MCB (need to buy a lock). At least label it. Also consider are you working on your own or could others accidentally get involved. The neutral won't be switched, so check no volts on there. Make sure first your meter is correctly rated and set to correct range. Don't rush any of your checks. Use insulated shaft screwdrivers.

Get an electrician unless you are fully confident.

Cheers,

Roy
Good points from Chuck below. MCB can fail and are not foolproof. They are protection devices and help with fault finding. They are not as foolproof as fuses. Locks are available, but are clamp on bits of plastic and small padlock so not very clever. They are used in industrial scenarios e.g. to prevent operation of faulty equipment. Disconnection and termination of the loose ends is the only way to isolate as Chuck says. That work will also need to include proving dead.

Meter boxes upstream of the MCB consumer unit normally have some disconnect links. A qualified person can remove these to isolate the whole house. Refit requires wire security links to be refitted, again by qualified person.

Can you explain who electrically installed the new shower. The new installation needs to be tested by an competent qualified person, who will check and test such things as the earthing. Remember this is a high power circuit do important to get all the protection right, and the terminals to the cable correctly tightened etc. etc.

Apologies for so many answers, but an electric shower is a potentially very dangerous bit of kit.

Roy (An amateur plumber. I am not qualified nor competent at electrics, just aware of some of the dangers and issues, so I'd like to give you enough understanding of why we should use a suitably qualified competent person).

Are you saying that the new shower doesn't use electricity at all?

If so, what has "happened" to the old cable or did it run to an isolation switch?

If its been left in a loft, cavity or under a floor and not terminated properly I must recommend that its properly isolated at the fuseboard and that doesn't mean just switching off a circuit breaker

Hope this helps

Problem is if lights trip or something a lay person usually goes to the consumer unit and just puts all of the breakers to on.

Best to remove the cable from the consumer unit and terminate it into a labelled junction box of suitable rating - in case you want to reinstate the circuit in future.
The breaker is then safe, it can be left in position, but may be a good idea to remove it completely and put in a blank cover.

Hi thank you for all the informative answers. I had a new bathroom installation, their was an electric shower on the wall but it was removed, the guys said is was isolated and removed with the wires. I have a non electric thermostat shower now and just happened to notice the shower circuit breaker in the fuse box at the off position.
Once someone is able to come to carry out work (due to covid-19) I will ask an electrician to check everything and above board.

Reply to Electric shower circuit breaker query in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock