Search the forum,

Discuss Electric combi boiler advice needed! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 99053

Hi,

I want to install electric combi boiler in my holiday home. It's a 2-bed cottage that will have 1 bath and underfloor heating.
Ideally, I would like direct system and compact boiler. The space is an issue, so I would prefer something without a water cylinder, unless it's a bad idea.
Needs to be reasonably priced.

What would be your recommendations, that meet the requirements of my brief?
Thanks.

Need to confirm you can provide the required electric power first.

Electric combi’s need a lot of juice. Lower end need around 60-70amp. Can your consumer unit handle that?

I’ve not installed any myself but there’s an apartment block (converted school) near me and I’ve fixed a few. They’re mainly storage combi’s from EHC, run at about 50A on 10mm cable, which is about the same as a bigger end electric shower.

they seem to do the job ok and are a clean and tidy unit.

I’ve not installed any myself but there’s an apartment block (converted school) near me and I’ve fixed a few. They’re mainly storage combi’s from EHC, run at about 50A on 10mm cable, which is about the same as a bigger end electric shower.

they seem to do the job ok and are a clean and tidy unit.

Thank you for your input.
Yes, this kind of thing seems to be most efficient. If I'm going for the one with water tank I think I'd prefer 9kw Heatrae Sadia Electromax. It's significantly cheaper and it's, well, Heatrae Sadia.
No problem re 50amp supply.
[automerge]1607330611[/automerge]
Need to confirm you can provide the required electric power first.

Electric combi’s need a lot of juice. Lower end need around 60-70amp. Can your consumer unit handle that?
Yes

I have fitted a number of the Electromax systems where gas has not been present and they are about the best solution we could find to supply a wet heating system with mains hot water. I have a block of 6 flats where they have been in over 5 years running UFH and providing hot water and never had an issue.
If you can find space I think these are current of the best all round solutions.

I have fitted a number of the Electromax systems where gas has not been present and they are about the best solution we could find to supply a wet heating system with mains hot water. I have a block of 6 flats where they have been in over 5 years running UFH and providing hot water and never had an issue.
If you can find space I think these are current of the best all round solutions.

Thanks! I was leaning towards Electromax because it's Heatrae Sadia, so now I'll just get one of them and be done with it 😊

Electra stream would be another choice but they aren't cheap electric heating is all about getting on a economy tarrif minimum economy 7 but preferably 10 or even 18 if you can find a supplier. Kop

Thanks, but I'm not convinced it's better than Electromax. Doesn't say anything about underfloor heating, only has 1 year guarantee and more expensive. I'll stick to Heatrae Sadia, but will follow your advice re Economy tariffs.

Thanks, but I'm not convinced it's better than Electromax. Doesn't say anything about underfloor heating, only has 1 year guarantee and more expensive. I'll stick to Heatrae Sadia, but will follow your advice re Economy tariffs.
If you go down the route of the Electromax you will need to do the maths on the E7 options. Although you will save in the hot water heating over night, running the heating during the day will be expensive. The ones I have run on a standard tariff and generally are fairly comparable to what it would be to heat with gas, I think.

If you go down the route of the Electromax you will need to do the maths on the E7 options. Although you will save in the hot water heating over night, running the heating during the day will be expensive. The ones I have run on a standard tariff and generally are fairly comparable to what it would be to heat with gas, I think.

True, but UFH is very efficient plus I will only need it half of the time. HW is needed all year around. Mind you, I will have electric hob and oven, so you are probably right... Do you think E10 or E18 would make it worthwhile?

I have fitted gear from EHC and was pretty happy with it.

The 14kw system boiler needed the main fuse charge to 100A, a 16mm2 cable to feed it and a 60A fuse on the board to protect it (I think. don't hold me to it).

Any larger requires 3 phase...

It was more powerful than the last electric boiler and the client was aware that he had to heat the house and hot water at different times, if he wanted it to work properly.

Reply to Electric combi boiler advice needed! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

PLUMBING ADVICE NEEDED Combi boiler in our house, downstairs water seems to be piping hot. Upstairs basin, bath and shower only ever seems to be lukewarm - so much so that no one even wants to bath as it never gets hot enough! Open to suggestions as to what it might be and if anyone can...
Replies
Views
Home owner looking for some advice pls. We have a megaflow system which we are considering removing as the tank takes up a lot of space and we don’t find we are using more than one shower or bath at a time. Our plan is to do this when the current boiler needs replacing (probably in the next...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a Glow-worm gas boiler working in conjunction with a Boilermate 2000. The central heating pipework is microbore. In view of the age of the boiler and...
Replies
Views
Hi. I recently had a renovation done. My builder installed a new Combi boiler instead of my system boiler. He connected the pipework to the digital pump. He did not inform us that we would need a new processor because we had changed to a Combi and subsequently a valve blew. Should my builders...
Replies
Views
D
Hi all, i moved recently in new home and realised that there is no room external thermostat wired to the Ideal Combi boiler. There is only mechanical timer on it. I saw some videos on Internet that mechanical timer can be replaced with electrical one but i am not sure if it is compatible with...
Replies
Views
Dobsuk
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock