Search the forum,

Discuss Electric Boiler Installation: - in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

DjClubber

Gas Engineer
Going to be doing a job installing a Full Heating System using an Electric Boiler: -

Is working out the kw to the property the same way as sizing a Gas or Oil Boiler?

I am hoping to go down a Combi route in a 4 Bathroom House, 2 Main Bathrooms and 2 En Suites. Not actually seen the Job until Monday. . . But want to get advice on Electric Boilers.

May have to go down the route of Un-Vented and Electric Boiler setup but prefer Combi. Think its a 4bed or 3bed House in Rural Area and no room for Oil Tank. South East Area. . .

Not much experience with Electric Boilers, therefore advice gratefully received. And some for instances as had a little look but will proper look after the viewing on Monday. . .

Is this a new build or update?
Has (is) the Electrical supply already been installed?
Is it single phase or 3 phase?
Who's doing the wiring for the boiler?

The first, or a very early thing you need to establish is the maximum load available on the Electrical supply.
It may not be big enough for an electric boiler especially if it's an overhead supply.

Ok, there Electrics are being done by an Electrician. Its a renovation, complete rebuild refurb. . . All I am going to be doing is the Plumbing, Heating, Drainage, all the way through, all Electrics are the responsibility of the Electrician although will brief him with more info. . .

Do you think they have any idea of the running costs of such a system at 13p per kW/h ?

(Combi) instantaneous hot water is not an option as it requires more energy than the electrical cables can practically supply.

In answer to your question yes the loading is the same for both fuels, so you will need to do a proper heatloss of the whole house (use the whole house method) to find the required kW's.
The largest single boiler unit such as the Amptec is 10kW @220 Volts - 12kW @240 Volts, and thats what you need to remember unlike gas / oil the energy available changes as the voltage goes up & down in the system I seem to remember they are allow +10% / -6% from the stated 230 Volts.
Each boiler unit will require 10mm2 twin & earth from a 50amp supply (bear in mind most house supplies are only 100amp).

If you do go down the electric route with an un-vent cylinder please don't install an indirect cylinder use a direct & leave the boiler to just do the heating.

Reply to Electric Boiler Installation: - in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock