Search the forum,

Discuss ECV Regs in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

richard978

Gas Engineer
I visited a house that had been converted into two flats. Downstairs flat had a cellar where both ECVs were located for both consumers. The upstairs flat had a meter and a AECV.

My take on the regulation is that the primary ECV should be accessible to the consumer. So in this case the person living in the upstairs flat would need to access their neighbor in the even of a gas emergency.

Would you agree that this is non compliant and would need the gas transportor to make alterations.

Where is the aecv located ?

So the upstairs flat has access to the aecv if yes it’s fine

They do have access under agreed time no difference in a block of flats with the main ecv behind a locked door

You will also probably find it’s a secondary meter

They do have access under agreed time no difference in a block of flats with the main ecv behind a locked door
You can't lock the main ECV, simply not allowed. The ECV is the property of the company that owns the pipeline. It should be accessible to the consumer 24/7. If it's not the HSE will sanction as it falls outside the remit of gas safe and the fire service or building inspectorate will prosecute.

The AECV falls outside of the gas transportor remit, it's maintained by the owner and it's position governed by building regulations. It should be labelled and position of the primary ECV clearly shown.

Regulation 9 HSE

They must be happy as they installed it there as I very doubt the house had two separate meters originally

God knows but it's my second this week. Just had a large apartment block where there was communal meter bank locked by the managing agent. When tenants want their meters read they have to submit a request.

I informed the local authority who instructed the fire service to conduct a building survey. The landlord was issued with a compliance notice and a 2000 pound bill to pay for the inspection.

People forget they don't own anything before the outlet of the meter. Worst case scenario is they will dig up and cut off in the street if you don't comply. I think Glenfell has placed focus on fire safety and compliance

Last edited:

Reply to ECV Regs in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock