Currently reading:
ebay hilmor benders wast of time

Discuss ebay hilmor benders wast of time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tiling spread

well my benders was droped off too day buy courier.
first over look of them and it wasnt good and as for bendsing pipe well im 50/50 on that at the mo
im starting to think there not hilmor,s at all but a cheep copy and i meen cheep too.
i know there rebuilds but there isnt even a hilmor or glm stamped on them like the real ones you get from the shops. or a good standard of workmenship on them.
DSC00753.jpg

no end cap
DSC00752.jpg

bolt that holds hook on is too long so it has pulled the paint off the arm
DSC00751.jpg

a better look
DSC00750.jpg

formers are really cheep too
DSC00749.jpg

DSC00747.jpg

DSC00746.jpg

tryed some bensds and the pipe rippels hook needs a good file down to stop stabing pipes
really stiff to use
well im off too screwfix after the new year to get a real set of glm's im so narked
the lads on here that have orderd a set im sorry for posting the link on here and wasting your time and money :(

Mine seem ok i.e. they bend pipe no ripples (22 mm) as said luck of the draw perhaps

Had mine delivered yesterday, they look spot on but haven't used them yet. Will let you know if i have problems

I've just bought a BC35 floor standing machine from benditnow and the quality is amazing and surpasses my old Hilmor. It produces nice tight bends with no throating or rippling and the bending pressure is adjustable. Buy direct from their website NOT ebay as they are much cheaper there and postage is also included.

They are a British company and deserve some recognition for manufacturing a quality product. Hilmor jumped ship to the Far East because it's cheaper, leaving yet another British company to struggle and pick up the pieces.
BUY BRITISH, not foreign imports!!!!

had my benditnow stand bender for a few years and it has yet to do a bad bend. Well tell a lie, a few sets where off but that was the idiot using the benders fault LOL.

What's the difference between the Irwin Hilmor GLM on Screw fix for £60 and the reconditioned ones costing more?
Gas man and AW like you can I can vouch for Benditnow. A good British company making a quality British product, not foreign import muck.

What's the difference between the Irwin Hilmor GLM on Screw fix for £60 and the reconditioned ones costing more?
Gas man and AW like you can I can vouch for Benditnow. A good British company making a quality British product, not foreign import muck.
dont know what benditnow are selling the glm for now but my recon ones cost 30 quid delivered,at the time hilmor were 90 quid new

There going for £35 plus £10 postage, for a few pounds more I'd tend to go for a new one. Gas man you got a good deal on yours.

Ask to have a look at them in store.

Originally the Hilmor brand was made in the UK - the old ones everyone knows and loves, and like rockinghorse poo now.

Irwin (American Tool Companies) took over Record (Record already owning Ridgway and Marples) a few years back and Hilmor and as we all know from the news, the Record factory in Sheffield was soon closed and production moved to China. All "Made in England" lettering on the dies were removed. As far as I am aware, the old Record Ridgway factory still stands, a neglected and folorn sight, a crumbling reminder of when Britain once led the world in manufacturing.

The stuff you get now is made using the same tooling, but that is where it ends. None of the kit is the same as the original British made stuff, and the woodworking tools particularly are awful compared to the old Marples brand.

If you have any old Marples / Record / Ridgway tools, then do look after them and hand them on to the next generation. The quality of them is unlikely to be seen again in this current world of buy cheap, wear out and chuck out.

Last edited:
As you say, I'll try to get a look at them in the store (although I guess you'd have to try them out on some pipe to really know if they were any good). That said, they must be better than the cheap scr*wfix ones I bought last year (shouldn't have listened to a mate) - they're bl**dy awful and leave a crease down each side of the bend from the edge of the former.

I've got a few old record planes and my bench vice is a Record 6" No 25 - must be 40 years old and feels like it's got another 100 years in it yet.

Like Record, the Irwin name is all that remains of a once renowned US tool manufacturer

Have a look on Ebay for 2nd hand Hilmor (with the name) and blue Record ones as even 2nd hand these will be better than today's offerings. FOrtunately I have my Grandad's 30 year old Hilmor bender he bought just before he retired and hardly used.

It appears that the reconditioned original Hilmors by Benditnow are better than the cheap ones sold on Screw fix. That is another downside of online retail that you can't try before you buy.

As far as hand benders go I really struggle to bend 22mm on one so I use it rarely and mainly for 15mm. I've got a cheapo blue one (Heavy duty pipe bender it's called) and it produces alright bends but not nearly as good as my floor standing machines.

I couldn't justify buying a Hilmor floor standing machine at the price they retail at. The Benditnow BC35 is identical, lower priced and every bit as good, if not better.

That's nae good min how much do you pay for a refurbished hilmor? I got a genuine one last week for 60quid

That's nae good min how much do you pay for a refurbished hilmor? I got a genuine one last week for 60quid
Was it a brand new modern version or an original Hilmor? The originals are far better than the modern ones now made in China.

Was it a brand new modern version or an original Hilmor? The originals are far better than the modern ones now made in China.
How will i find out the difference? It work's great and it looks original

Ask to have a look at them in store.

Originally the Hilmor brand was made in the UK - the old ones everyone knows and loves, and like rockinghorse poo now.

Irwin (American Tool Companies) took over Record (Record already owning Ridgway and Marples) a few years back and Hilmor and as we all know from the news, the Record factory in Sheffield was soon closed and production moved to China. All "Made in England" lettering on the dies were removed. As far as I am aware, the old Record Ridgway factory still stands, a neglected and folorn sight, a crumbling reminder of when Britain once led the world in manufacturing.

The stuff you get now is made using the same tooling, but that is where it ends. None of the kit is the same as the original British made stuff, and the woodworking tools particularly are awful compared to the old Marples brand.

If you have any old Marples / Record / Ridgway tools, then do look after them and hand them on to the next generation. The quality of them is unlikely to be seen again in this current world of buy cheap, wear out and chuck out.

[DLMURL="http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=43909

[DLMURL="http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=65016"]http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=65016]Archived Report - Record Marples Tool Works, Sheffield - UK Urban Exploration Forums[/DLMURL][/DLMURL]this is where quality kit was made,warning swear words in the graffiti

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ebay hilmor benders wast of time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock