Search the forum,

Discuss Dust extraction core drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I'm looking at getting dust extraction to go on my core drill

Couple of questions

Do you have to have the solid core bits or can you use any?

What about extension bars as the dust extraction unit stays outside the wall.

The Bosch system allows you to use your existing kit, other manu's require dedicated bits/extension bars as they suck the debris internally.

With Bosch system it obviously helps if the wall is perfectly flat as the unit relies on suction to stay put.

Last edited:
Also seems to rely on nice easy accessible position for hole; not the usual in a corner, bang tight to the floor - no way that collar would fit on 50% of the holes I do. Just dangle a Henry nearby - that will get most of it!

...true enough.

Thought they'd be more interest in this thread so clearly not many folks use them. Alternative systems are by the likes of Marcrist where suction is integrated into the bit and the dust and debris is taken away via an extraction unit. Good idea as it'll make it less likely to jam, this guy hams it up a bit but I'm sure we've all been there...

Screwfix sell the kits, not too crazy price wise...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/marcrist-core-drill-bit-set-dust-extraction-unit-9-piece-set/7999f

...true enough.

Thought they'd be more interest in this thread so clearly not many folks use them. Alternative systems are by the likes of Marcrist where suction is integrated into the bit and the dust and debris is taken away via an extraction unit. Good idea as it'll make it less likely to jam, this guy hams it up a bit but I'm sure we've all been there...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/marcrist-core-drill-bit-set-dust-extraction-unit-9-piece-set/7999f

Problem tho you can’t use the dust extraction with the pilot so have to start it without the put it on (dust extraction)

True but you only need the pilot to secure the core's location with a bit of purchase, you have to or should remove the pilot anyway with or without extraction.

...true enough.

I thought not a bad price either so I bought it. Used it for a flue hole.

It doesn't come with a pilot bit but as shauncorbs put you can't start it with a pilot bit but that doesn't cause too much dust a couple of quick burst and it's started.

Before you put the extension on it was awesome flew through the brick wall in about 2 minutes without a lot of pressure.

Once you put the extension on though it turned pants. All because the suction comes out of the holes on the extension so I taped them up and still not great found air being sucked in through the the adaptor for the drill so taped up those holes and again it flew through.

So well recommend it just have some electrical tape handy.

That system actually sounds pretty good, hopefully stop the jamming up of the core.
How does it perform in that worst case scenario, when the wall is damp and jamming is worse?

I thought not a bad price either so I bought it. Used it for a flue hole.

It doesn't come with a pilot bit but as shauncorbs put you can't start it with a pilot bit but that doesn't cause too much dust a couple of quick burst and it's started.

Ah... I see, I've used one (Dewalt I think) where the extraction kit came with a pilot drill, thought that kit did too.

Found Mexco do a kit with a pilot drill, and no holes in extension.

DCX90 Range 9 PIECE DRY CORE DRILL KIT WITH EXTRACTION UNIT Products (See vids on this page, uses pilot)

Kit available on fleabay...

Mexco DCX90 Grade Solid Dust Swivel Core Drill Kit (9 Piece) 5060093860801 | eBay

Last edited:
Ah... I see, I've used one (Dewalt I think) where the extraction kit came with a pilot drill, thought that kit did too.

Found Mexco do a kit with a pilot drill, and no holes in extension.

DCX90 Range 9 PIECE DRY CORE DRILL KIT WITH EXTRACTION UNIT Products (See vids on this page, uses pilot)

Kit available on fleabay...

Mexco DCX90 Grade Solid Dust Swivel Core Drill Kit (9 Piece) 5060093860801 | eBay

The pilot bit isn't an issue I had one from another set.

Because the suction is inside the core the pilot bit blocks it anyway but a quick burst just to get that groove to hold the bit in place isn't too much of an issue.

That Mexico has the holes in the side of the extension pieces and the connector to the drill same as the marchrist so would still have the problem I had (bit of electrical tape soon sorted it though)

That system actually sounds pretty good, hopefully stop the jamming up of the core.
How does it perform in that worst case scenario, when the wall is damp and jamming is worse?

The wall I was drilling wasn't soaking but it certainly wasn't bone dry and once I blocked up the holes it never jammed and I did the condense hole with it and it never jammed up once.

So far I recommend it but time will tell.

Reply to Dust extraction core drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock