Search the forum,

Discuss Droning noise from loft - incredibly loud! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

morini66

Hi All, hope you can help 'cos this is driving me and the better half nuts. System is open vented with Baxi Bermuda back boiler, indirect coil DHW tank and three port divertor valve. Had a few problems with pipe drone over the years, which was always stopped by turning on a cold tap. But not anymore!
Now we get a droning resonance that shakes the whole house, wakes the street and does not respond to any taps, toilet flushing etc. It seems to come from the loft, where there is a CWST plus header tank.
I went up there to check the ballcock on the header, but it seemed fine so I left it alone - after I took the face off and checked for any debris, diaphragm split etc. What I did notice was that the water in the header tank was very warm. Not sure if this is from the overhead vent outlet or from the outlet pipe backflowing. It was also too full and I baled out quite a bit.

Can't seem to pin down any timing for the noise kicking off. May be linked to the HW timings but not sure. The heating is on constant with a programmable room thermostat.

I read a few other threads here and have turned down the pump to minimum - pump is very recent BTW as is room thermostat.

Any suggestions very welcome, especially by my neighbours!

I've recently fixed a Torbeck valve on my mum's toilet which was making a strange grinding buzzing noize - not the usual water hammer you get from the old ball valves. Fitted a new diaphram washer.
Check if you have a Torbeck valve anywhere - loo, water tank etc.

First thing, change the ball valve. Next check/replace the cylinder thermostat. If the noise persists more investigation required.

Thanks for that. Pretty sure I have no Torbeck valves anywhere.

I will change the ball valve when I get a sec and test the tank stat

In the meantime, I read on another thread that it could be due to over pumping, or somesuch name. I turned the pump down to minimum and had no noise since. So fingers crossed. But I will still check the tank for warmth, depth and I already bought the new valve so may as well fit it.

I should also re-route the overflow, as at present it just dumps into the cold water tank alongside. Which doesn't seem too healthy!

Thanks again for suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Droning noise from loft - incredibly loud! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock