Search the forum,

Discuss Drips of Water from Pipe Next to Boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a small pipe (Picture below) just above my boiler that I noticed yesterday has had a few drips of water come out of it, it was a fairly rainy day so thought it may be related, however thinking about it it may have been dripping for months.

https://i.*********/7M5j6MD.jpg

Searching the internet the suggestions are this is a pipe where pressure is released if the tank upstairs has to much pressure in it?
I read I need to check my pressure gauge but I can not find one, checked boiler, tank upstairs and water tanks in loft.

As I am a complete novice I have no ideal what type of central heating system I have so no idea if I should have a pressure gauge or not, let alone any idea if this should or should not be dripping occasionally.

My home is a new build from 19 years ago, I have a boiler in the kitchen, a hot water tank upstairs and what looks like a big and a small water tank in the loft.

Please could anybody shed some light on what this drip from the pipe could be and what type of central heating system do I have?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Martin.

As Riley says its an mt cock, in a very poor state. What you need to realise is that in side is a rubber washer which has perished. So dont fiddle with it
the end has a square post and can be turned but LEAVE alone
esp as its Sunday. If your knowledgeabke and confident tell us what you would do if not call a plumber tomorrow
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

By the sounds of it, you have a conventional open vented heating system with gravity fed hot water. You will not require a pressure gauge with this type of system. The valve in the picture is as Riley said, a drain off cock. Looking at it, it's been leaking a while, if your not confident yourself, call a plumber to come a change the washer.

Many thanks for these fast and very helpful replies.
I have zero plumbing experience so on your advice I will not touch it and call an expert out.

Is this a costly job or a simple case of changing the drain cock do you think?

I have zero plumbing experience so on your advice I will not touch it and call an expert out.

It can be really simple but depending how the plumber opts to drain down, it could end up been half a days job if the system airlocks or cold feeds blocked.

As you state you have no choice and servicing the mt cock might well involve a drain down ...I know it looks very small but is a quite important component in the scheme of things .so a ..drain down , replace part, then refill and system bleed takes quite a while...the component costs me about £1.00
centralheatking

No idea thats what it has always been called chking
all fittings have a number as well ..like 15mm connector is a No 1 but then you can get No 64. and so on ...they are in a big book somewhere

Those numbers were, AFAIAA, all preceded by YF, as they were the item numbers from the Yorkshire Fittings catalogue. I still remember most of them, but ask for a No 14 at a merchants and all you will get is a confused stare. Or maybe those numbers were always there,and YF adopted them?

Apart from Kit 32?

Reply to Drips of Water from Pipe Next to Boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My son moved to a new build home in Cornwall last November. Yesterday evening he found a quantity of water beneath the Ideal Combi boiler and a steady water drip from the boiler. After clearing up and putting a container beneath the boiler, he went to bed. This morning the water drip had...
Replies
Views
Hello. My home's Rheem water heater is dripping from the drain valve. It is strange as it seems to sometimes spit out some water and then stop and then occurs again. I have a little plastic bucket to collect the water, probably about 3 cups of water in a 24 hour period. I was doing some...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock