Search the forum,

Discuss Dripping sound kitchen sink in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, we have a long drain run in the kitchen . We had some plumbing work done to the drain pipe as it had dropped and wasn’t draining very well and now it has been realigned if we drain water down the sink (1.5 bowl) or have used the dishwasher or washing machine the sink makes a dripping sound intermittently that can last for up to half an hour or longer. I removed the p trap when it was making the sound and the half bowl sink had a slow drip but I’m not sure if the sound is always water or air. It’s just odd that we never had this issue before the pipe was fixed and we’ve lived here for 7years. The noise is quite loud and very annoying. Any ideas?

You say 'dripping' but could it be 'clicking' or 'creaking'? If so, you might be hearing slip-stick movement of the pipe at point(s) where it rubs against a surface or passes through a clamp.

Is it more of a problem when the water you drain is hot rather than cold?

I think Chuck might have it.

Try filling the sink with just Cold water then let it down the drain, see if it makes the noise.
If not then try a bowl full of Hot.

Hello, thanks for the replies. It does it with hot water, e.g after appliance waste water has drained and typically the sound continues for up to half an hour or more. It may also randomly start if you drain cold water down the sink, even just an inch of water from a glass.

Sink the long pipes have been realigned recently the sink’s also been gurgling like crazy when the dishwasher and washing machine are draining but I guess that’s because of the long run in the kitchen and then through the clay main drain pipe that runs from the kitchen to the front of the house (pipes under suspended floor).

Re the gurgling, would an air admittance valve help under the sink. The drain pipes are inaccessible and short of ripping the kitchen up we’re limited as to what can be done. Thanks in advance.

Reply to Dripping sound kitchen sink in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock