Search the forum,

Discuss Dripping Shower Head in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thumbsup

I have a trigger controlled shower head fitted with an isolation valve. It is used to wash in addition to a bidet.The trigger operates perfectly when it is used but water drips from its head when it is hung on its bracket. The water trapped in the flexi-pipe drips down from the head with the isolation valve fully shut. This leakage causes considerable puddle and dampness on the floor. I do not understand why does it leak with the isolation valve closed? Can this leakage be stopped? Any professional advice would be appreciated.

Can it be the slow thermal expansion of the water 'stored' in the flexi-hose, when the shower is switched off? The expanded water would drip out of the shower head, and continue to do so until all expansion had stopped. This could only happen, of course, if the water starts off at below room temperature and gradually warms up - which I admit doesn't seem likely!

Does the dripping slow down (and stop) as time passes?

How do you know the isolation valve and the trigger shut off 100% - they could be letting a tiny amount of water pass - enough to cause dripping.

Try removing the hose and watching the outlet from the shut isolation valve for a while, to see if any water appears.

This effect sometimes happens with conventional showers for a while - but you don't notice the dripping so much because it falls into the shower tray, rather than on the floor. A theory: the water stored in the hose and in the mixer valve housing when the flow is shut off is gradually expelled via the shower head as the hose and housing cool down and contract in volume (more than the water, presumably)???

Last edited:
Thanks Big Al for detailed response.
The shower in question is fed from a thermostatic mixer valve set at moderate temperature.
The dripping stops eventually but too late to avoid a puddle!
The isolation valve is 100% shut as I have removed the flexi hose and there is no dripping from the valve.
I am not sure about the shower head side i.e. the trigger's efficiency. I thought with isolation valve shut and a good shaking of shower head with trigger on before hanging up should be sufficient to avoid dripping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dripping Shower Head in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm in the process of refurbishing my bathroom. I'll be replacing the existing bath with a walk in shower. Will be installing a thermostatic mixer valve fed by mains on the cold side and a combi boiler (Logic Combi c30) for thr hot. Ideally what I'd like to do is have the mixer valve at the...
Replies
Views
Hi - recognise this a bit of an odd one. We have an old failed mixer valve which we need to replace. This valve actually predates a temperature controlled boiler, so the mixing functionality is irrelevant, since the cold water pipe is isolated/off. I'd ideally like to replace the shower valve...
Replies
Views
I have recently fitted a thermostatic external mixer shower in my bathroom. The problem is that when it is set to the highest possible temperature its only luke warm at best. The hot water in my house is generated from a combi boiler which should be able to deliver a hot water flowrate of...
Replies
Views
Hello - am hoping someone out there can offer some advice... I've been living in a split level 1st & 2nd floor masionette for two months, which was built in the 60's. Heating is provided via combi boiler. Water for kichen is fed straight from the mains supply (both hot and cold), however, we...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a combi boiler that supplies hot water to two ufh manifolds. We only have ufh and no radiators. I am trying to find the most efficient way to heat our home. What would your recommendations be on the following ways to set our system up. A) Set the ufh mixer to max so it isn't doing...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock