Search the forum,

Discuss Drilling into tiles in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David66316

Hi, how do you lot find the best way of drilling into tiles? Do ya just use normal masonry bits or not? That's what I've been using and it seems to take a while on some and very quick on others,
Thanks

Tile bit (usually buy mine from Travis Perkins or a tile shop). Larger holes, start with a tile bit then I've a triangular shaped bit I bought from a tile shop.

Felt tip mark on the tile and rest tile on floor. Start very slowly and if it slips, start again and push point of bit into tile until there's a slight nick. Then slow drill to begin with. I've tried using masking tape but it adds another five minutes or so by the time I've gone to the van, found it and returned. And the bit still slips.

Irwin or bosch multi purpose on ceramic, travertine, slate. Diamond water cooled on porcelain and marble.

On cheaper tiles make sure you push the raw plug past the tile to stop it cracking, sorryif going off on a tangent and sucking eggs and all that

on normal tiles any masonry drill in a hammer drill will do on porcelain now thats a different ball game,the bosch blue bits will roughly do 2 holes before burning out,the water cooled crap is not much better,but there is a sponsor on here 365 drills but dont know if he does a 5.5mm bit

Cheers for the advice, and I learnt about the rawl plug the hard way :( but cheers

The drill bits from 365 drills are great for tiles and a good price I recommend them. If they don't have a bit you want they will also make them to order. I think the rate is ÂŁ1 per mm so it's not a bad price but you will have to ask them. Their service is great so don't be shy ;)

For ceramic tiles i start small and then increase bit size as necessary. For the one porcalain job i did (my own house) i bought a porcelain bit. Started dry at a low speed to mark the tile, then made a "bath" from kitchen towel, then drilled at high speed. The reason for marking the tile was that with water on a black tile i couldn't see my mark so i worked by feel.

The Bathroom fitters pack from 365 drills is brilliant and good value. A glass/tile drill set from Tool station, costs about a tenner and drills most things easily and quickly at low cost. Use both 365 drills and the Tool station set on a slow speed, on rotary NOT on hammer action with plenty of water and if you put a bit of masking tape on the tile first, drill through it and it won't crack. The masking tape also makes it easy to mark your holes with a pencil.

I find the bit can still slip with masking tape, prefer to make a little nick in the tile if poss with something sharp like a nail and a very light tap from the persuader.
The 365 kit includes a template that you place on the wall and drill through the appropriate size of hole on it, so there's no way it can slip. If you start any other type of drill very slowly at first on masking tape so that it forms a groove, and then increase the speed, then punching a hole with a nail isn't required.

http://www.tilersforums.co.uk/sponsors/*********.jpg

[DLMURL="http://www.*********.com/"]365 drills[/DLMURL]
The pack really is a quality,good value buy

Last edited by a moderator:
For an ordinary tile drill (not one of the tube type diamond drills - I must get one of those 365 sets), I use one of those carbide spade type tile drills to very lightly centre pop the tile first - stops it slipping.

iv always used tile bits from screw fix.you get 3 in a pack and i think they are 5mm,6mm and a 7mm..i think there brilliant too.they normally last me about 3 months but i do buy 3 packs at a time so a pack generally last's around a month and i do a fair bit with them..

i now use the new irwin bits for drilling tiles brick concrete and steel without using the hammer.
they have a self centering point for tile so no skidding or tape required.

bosch multi construction will drill any type of tile start with 4 mm and keep dipping it in water they are the best value for money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Drilling into tiles in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

hi all i need some help and advice i am tiling around 2 shower pipe fittings. as the measurements were intricate i was practicing on off cuts and trying to create a template. I've noticed when i drill holes into the tiles sometimes they would crack. i don't use any pressure or drill too fast...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a stone-resin shower tray, new ceramic tiles on the floor and half tiling on the walls. All the work...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all Moved in to a new house a few months ago. The previous owner had installed an accessible wetroom with nonslip flooring, handrails, etc. We've been using it but have started to notice that some of the floor tiles make a squelching sound when you tread on them and a little water emerges...
Replies
Views
We want to change the mirror in the bathroom so I need to drill a new hole through the tiles. The tiles were dotted and dabbed as the walls were slighly uneven - if that makes a difference. Glazed Porcelain tiles from wickes. What drill but should I use? I have some odd bits around but...
Replies
Views
hi all i was attempting to install the tiles today on the wall. if you look at the photo, i started at the pipe work as that was the most intricate. problem is, it kept slipping an inch, very frustrating. in the end i gave up and manged to save the adhesive (ready mix) I'm betting its something...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock