Search the forum,

Discuss Drilling into a soil pipe joint in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, is it unheard of to install a mechanical boss onto a soil pipe joint? The only part of the soil pipe that is above the line of the plasterboard is the joint and I was wondering if anyone has attempted to drill into it? I can’t find any answers online so I’ll assume it’s a stupid question.
Thanks

Hello, is it unheard of to install a mechanical boss onto a soil pipe joint? The only part of the soil pipe that is above the line of the plasterboard is the joint and I was wondering if anyone has attempted to drill into it? I can’t find any answers online so I’ll assume it’s a stupid question.
Thanks

I have never done it, nor heard of it, so personally wouldn’t recommend doing it. Is there no access to soil pipe? You can get bossed couplings. What are you trying to connect?

A picture would be perfect.

If it's a pushfit soil pipe then you'll most likely destroy the seal when you cut through.
If it's solvent then it may be possible, depends if the outer surface is flat and how big the Boss face is.

This is for a 1 1/2 shower pipe, I can access the soil pipe lower down but it will require new boxing in further down the wall and I was trying to avoid extra work if unnecessary! Attached is a picture of where I was aiming to attach the boss.

7138E4BF-2A50-4637-8060-2FEA7FB3B2EE.jpeg

I wouldn't.
I would make the extra effort.
It's one of those 'wish I hadn't bothered' jobs.
The diameter is slightly larger than the pipe inside it so there is a good chance the boss won't seal. On top of that, your boss lip will finish between the inner socket wall and the pipe. I know that may not matter to some but there is a 'wrong' element in my head about that one.

It's plastic, you can weld it using solvent or temperature so I would if it were mine but probably not if it was a customers without a signifcant proviso. Make of that what you will but I would not rely on it being soley a mechanical fixing for the reasons given above so take their advice.

Use a test piece and make double sure you use the correct plastic primer and cement. ;)

In short, yes you can do it.

I had to once and used a glue on strap boss, this wouldn’t reach around the larger diameter so I wired the two ends together ( it was the push/ ratchet type). I also made sure the 1”1/2 was well supported with strapband.

In your case I wouldn’t do it as you have an alternative.

Always think - if it fails in the worse case scenario, can I justify what I did. As you have s viable alternative I’d say you can’t justify it and I expect a loss adjuster would agree.....

trying to avoid extra work if unnecessary
Trying to cut a corner in that way is likely to lead to a large amount of unnecessary extra work. Even if it doesn't by some miracle leak, I'd strongly advise against weakening the joint.

Reply to Drilling into a soil pipe joint in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock