• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss Dribbly shower in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Jennie

Gas Engineer
HI all,

Just wondering how best to tackle a customer's problematic mixer shower. Apparently it's had issues since it was installed (about six years ago).

He has a bar shower, with a huge 'dinner plate' head, running from an unvented system. The water pressure is good from all the taps in the house. However, there are issues with the shower - periodically, the water slows to a dribble for anything between a few seconds and a couple of minutes, before getting back up to it's normal pressure.

There appears to be a pressure reducing valve under the shower, so I suspect the cold feed has been taken directly from the mains (and not the unvented cylinder's shower take-off). I'll check this when I'm next there.

My plan of action is to remove the bar shower valve, and measure the static and working pressure of both the hot and cold shower outlets. If it turns out to be unbalanced pressures, is it an adequate solution to simply replace the pressure reducing valve (if it turns out to be knackered)? (The pressure of the hot water from the cylinder should be OK - no report of the pressure relief valve running from the tundish).

And are some bar shower brands more suspectible to unequal pressures than others? Ie, could a different shower valve perform better? It might be that the bar shower valve is faulty, in which case they'll need a new one anyway.

Thanks for all your advice

Jenni

spanner

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Sounds a very expensive bath shower mixer blending mixer shower valve but piped up incorrectly at the time.

Reply to Dribbly shower in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net